They don't make them like this anymore

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I work in a high school built originally in the late 60's and then added to and updated over the years but still standing largely in its original form today.

I've found myself admiring some of the old electrical gear that is still there and still in daily operation.
Overlooked by almost everyone but as someone who appreciates quality, I have to say they just don't make them like this anymore.

The toggle type switches have such a fantastically satisfying mechanical feel to them.

I can't find much info about them but similar looking vintage ones online on places like ebay seem to suggest they are Crabtree brand.
I actually have Crabtree 'Platinum' toggle switches in my house and while they are nice, they're nowhere near as quality feeling as those old original ones, so they've lost something along the way!

Anyway, thought I'd post some photos of it all on here in case anyone else wanted to nerd out on it all.

IMG_2022-08-31-08-26-55-696.jpg
IMG_2022-08-31-08-27-06-563.jpg

No idea what brand of switch the below is but there are loads of 1 and 2 gang ones around too.
Again, lovely satisfying 'clunk' when you operate them. Not felt any modern switch that feels that sort of quality.
Maybe someone could shed some light on brand? They look like maybe some sort of old grid system but not sure.

IMG_2022-08-31-13-59-27-789.jpg

Found these sockets to be quite unusual with the switch in the lower corners - never seen sockets like this before.
While I wouldn't say they 'feel' like quality - the switches are all quite stiff to operate - they must have done something right as they are still in daily use!

IMG_2022-08-31-14-00-03-819.jpg
IMG_2022-08-31-14-00-09-823.jpg
IMG_2022-08-31-13-58-29-473.jpg

Not sure of the brand. 'DS' is marked in between the live and neutral receptacles. Maybe Dorman Smith who seem to make large commercial distribution boards now?

Anyway, loads of those types of sockets around.

A lot of classrooms in the older buildings have these old 'Heater switches' in them.
Most of them appear to do nothing though I did find one that seemed to operate something as a whirring noise like ventilation started up when switched on.
The black circular button stays depressed when pushed, the red button then pops it back out. Not sure how they were meant to operate. Again, maybe someone has some knowledge of this?

IMG_2022-08-31-14-00-17-502.jpg
IMG_2022-08-31-14-46-25-265.jpg

Boring but seemingly old metalclad type socket:

IMG_2022-08-31-14-00-40-174.jpg

This is probably more for the plumbers subforum but putting it here anyway because it's old and awesome and you just don't see components like this anymore:

IMG_2022-08-15-09-30-12-615.jpg

No idea if it does anything but the handle can still be moved!

Hope you guys enjoyed, I actually took the photos just to share here!
If I spot any more on my travels I will upload them.

Sponsored Links
Not familiar with that stuff marked DS, but a good call on it being Dorman Smith, particularly as a commercial environment.

Have to do some research :).

Last edited:
On Flameport's page he has shown some pictures of older DS sockets and plugs, mostly black - which are Dorman Smith.

Toggle switches with a satisfying clunk are probably designed to be able to switch DC. That is no longer a requirement so switches are lighter and cheaper to manufacture.

Sponsored Links
The black circular button stays depressed when pushed, the red button then pops it back out. Not sure how they were meant to operate. Again, maybe someone has some knowledge of this?
Possibly an RCD built into the unit, Red to test and Black to reset,

In the late 60s?
Early 50's there were earth leakage devices, both RCD ( operate on the difference between Live and Neutral ) and VOELCB ( coil in series with the CPC and operate on the current flowing to Earth from the CPC )

Early 50's there were earth leakage devices, both RCD ( operate on the difference between Live and Neutral ) and VOELCB ( coil in series with the CPC and operate on the current flowing to Earth from the CPC )
Possibly VOELCBs but, although you may be right in saying that RCDs 'existed' in the early 50s, it was 20-25 years after that before we saw them being installed to any appreciable extent.

I'm pretty sure that I had not even heard of RCDs until well into the 70s.

Kind Regards, John

Anyway, thought I'd post some photos of it all on here in case anyone else wanted to nerd out on it all.

IMG_2022-08-31-08-26-55-696.jpg

The actual switch inside was made from porcelain, fixed to the box via two, long 4BA screws. I would be inclined to check and ensure the metal cover plate is properly earthed.

We had those in our wooden temporary classrooms, the buttons are timers.

Despite the more complicated suggestions, was it probably not simply "Press Black for on and then red for off" (for two 'switches')?

Kind Regards, John

Possibly an RCD built into the unit, Red to test and Black to reset,
Probably wrong, but I'm thinking fan control, for a unit such as:

Particularly as:
Most of them appear to do nothing though I did find one that seemed to operate something as a whirring noise like ventilation started up when switched on.

In one of our 1980's builds, we have massive cabinet fan heaters built into the walls.

Despite the more complicated suggestions, was it probably not simply "Press Black for on and then red for off" (for two 'switches')?

Kind Regards, John
The units we had (remembering this from 1966-68) the switch would start the fan and the black button would start the oil heater (one building was electric, t'others were.) Pushing the red button would stop the heater but allowing it to time out the fan would stop.
Electric heaters the black button was a boost, fan ran much faster and i suspect another heater element.

EDIT: to correct info for electric version.

Last edited:
Probably wrong, but I'm thinking fan control, for a unit such as:

Particularly as:

In one of our 1980's builds, we have massive cabinet fan heaters built into the walls.
Yes that sort of heater albeit our school units were big things; 4-5ft long, 3ft high and old brown/brass finish. Predated electronic timers by a mile:ROFLMAO:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back