Thick mortar under padstone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Under the padstone I have 37 MM. of mortar? Is it bad practice? Picture attached

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    199.9 KB · Views: 699
Sponsored Links
Not ideal - the thinner the mortar the better. Doesn't necessarily mean it will fail, though.

Blimey the smudgers are in town.

Will the mortar fail before that rusty beam is the question?

No, 37mm is bad practice. It should be packed with something such as tile, slate or steel. Or better still, the brickwork built up properly.

Sponsored Links
I've seen some pretty hefty, make-up muck spreading when setting out a building on dodgy (out of level) foundations, so no, it is unlikely to fail. Especially as there is plenty of bearing. It is frowned upon by those naïve blokes who have letters after their name.

Does fail on this forum mean regulation or just in general risk of not functioning?

I should be OK to get this through a certification from building control?

There was some slate to back the mortar not the mortar.

The pad stone is large and its 2.4metres opening.

Is it worth redoing this

But those blokes might also ask, "well if the padstones are crap and are crap for everyone to see, what else are they doing crap, including what is not immediately easy to see?"

The less nieve know that it is rarely a single thing that makes a crap job, but the sum of several things. And the crucial thing is whether the OP is paying good job money for crap job results

Woody, NiEVE (Hons) :p

Strictly speaking, there shouldn't be any mortar between the padstone and the underside of the steel.

But that's just being anal - the inspector is unlikely to fail it (at least the ones we use wouldn't)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back