Thickness of sockets?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning to dot n dab the plasterboard rather than strap them,what thickness back boxes for my plug sockets is best for dot n dab? cheers.

Sponsored Links
12.5mm D&D amounts to aboot 25mm when skimmed.

Back boxes too happen to be 25mm deep.

So, just surface fix the back boxes direct to the wall (i.e. no need for chasing in) and your d&d plus skim will finish flush.

However be prepared for the plaster thickness to increase where pipes etc have been run down a wall.

Our local builders merchant used to sell dry lining door casings at 5 3/4" wide. These incidentally turned out a few mm less than the stated size.

I would always to argue that if you were to fix a light switch back box either side of a 100mm thick wall then you would need a casing that was 150mm thick and that their standard casings would require a glued plant in order to comply.

They now stock 6" (150mm) casings.:cool:

If you want fancy ultra-flat or screwless sockets, then you will need to fit 35mm backboxes, and therefore recess them into the wall by 10mm.
Otherwise, the 25mm will be fine.

Light switches also 25mm - although 16mm can be obtained, they are generally useless.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back