Thief stole roof flashing-repairs next week but rain due w/e

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

On Monday after catching idiot on my flat roof (three level block) at 9:30pm with him telling me 'I was looking for my ball mate', I was left puzzled as to what the hell he was doing up there (I didn't even know what 'flashing was at that point).

This 'master criminal' returned at 1:30am. This time I called the police. Turns out he was after the flashing which seals my roof to an adjoining wall. Only manager to rip around 5 metres off. No sign of the man when police arrived, but found a car parked up in our garages with a pregnant woman sitting in passengers sit smoking weed. Turns out she was with him, think she or policed called him on mobile and eventually he turned up.

I'm a tenant so council will complete repairs but unable to do so until next week. As rain is due at the weekend I'm worried that damage will be done to the parts without the flashing. Am I worrying about nothing or should I try and get something done sooner?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Don`t worry ;) you`ll get nowt from the council if you go climbing about on the roof and endanger yourself - just move any stuff away from the wall in question - you`d have to have contents cover for any damage to your goods - the council has to insure " the fabric" of the building . So if you get any watermarks , you should get a re dec out of them ;) You would if Red Ken was Mayor :p

Thanks but what is the likely hood of damage from a weekend of rain? Can leakage occur that quickly or is it generally over a longer period of time?

Bit of an impossible question to answer, depends on direction of rain, how prolonged, heavy, incessant drizzle and how exposed your property is.

Do as Nige said, and keep your eye on the attic.

Sponsored Links
Yes its the councils responsibility to repair and responsibility for any damage caused if they repair later rather than sooner

Unless this section of wall gets direct blown rain, then water ingress is normally none or little

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back