Thin JB/backbox behind bathroom cabinet?

How, then, is it supposed to be connected?
As I just wrote, push it's cable through a hole in the wall and then connect it to the supply with connector block/Wagos/switch in a backbox (with blank plate or switch) on the other side of the wall.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
As I just wrote, push it's cable through a hole in the wall and then connect it to the supply with connector block/Wagos/switch in a backbox (with blank plate or switch) on the other side of the wall.
That won't be an option in most places.

That won't be an option in most places.
No-one said that it was, but it clearly is an option for the OP, which is what we are talking about. As you imply, others may have to struggle a bit.

Depending on the height of the cabinet, a common method would probably be to make the connections (after the cabinet had been installed) above the cabinet ('out of sight').

Kind Regards, John

No-one said that it was, but it clearly is an option for the OP, which is what we are talking about.
Only because that is where the conversation has led and the obvious possibly overlooked.

As you imply, others may have to struggle a bit.
The OP said he would - but I cannot imagine that is what the cabinet designers had in mind, so how would it normally be done?

Depending on the height of the cabinet, a common method would probably be to make the connections (after the cabinet had been installed) above the cabinet ('out of sight').
Exactly.

Depending on how the cabinet is made, it may be possible to fit to the wall but leave a gap at the top where the two cables may be connected and then 'tucked in'.

Sponsored Links
.... but I cannot imagine that is what the cabinet designers had in mind, so how would it normally be done? ... Exactly. .... Depending on how the cabinet is made, it may be possible to fit to the wall but leave a gap at the top where the two cables may be connected and then 'tucked in'.
Quite so - so I would imagine that is probably what the cabinet designers had in mind (I wonder if the instructions say so?). It's really no different from any other 'above-/inside-furniture' lighting (part from the complication of the tiling).

One doesn't necessarily have to tuck the connected cables behind it the cabinet/whatever - as I said, provided the cabinet/whatever is high enough up for it to be out of sight, one can have a JB or accessory on top of (or just 'above') the cabinet/whatever.

Kind Regards, John

The usual method for installing such things is to have a flush backbox in the wall behind the cabinet with the wiring (which should have both permanent line and switched line available), the short flex on the cabinet is long enough to reach that box and will fit in the gap between the cabinet back and wall, the actual connections are made in the backbox with screw terminals, Wagos or whatever else is desired.
A flat blank plate with a small hole for the flex can be fitted over the box if desired, but not essential as it's behind the cabinet anyway.

As for supporting it while making the connections - either rest it on the basin / cupboard below, or if that hasn't been installed yet, a suitably placed stepladder or similar will do.

Bathroom cabinet wiring should contain a permanent line, and another which is switched with the room lights.
Not all cabinets / illuminated mirrors have a switch on them.

It would be OK if they were accessible form the other side. A blanking plate there would also create a zone for the cable to run in. Nobody seems to have considered that if it's going to be wired from the other side, a cable might end up <50mm from the surface on that side.

Thats how I fitted a bathroom cabinet the other year. Put a backbox on the other side of a stud wall with run of conduit through to bathroom. Could just push the annoyingly short pre fitted wire through conduit easily when hanging cupboard, then connect it up easily later in the other room.

The OP now has a beard ! , FFS mountains molehills........:LOL:

DAVE

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back