Think I screwed up...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This isn't actually a screw-up yet, but might become one.

I decided to save money by using type 3 OSB for a decking as it's going to be covered with fake grass so won't be seen. After a bit of reading I thought that type 3 was waterproof rather than just water-resistant, but an experienced mate is telling me no way.

I've considered sealing it or painting it before the grass goes down, but the grass is porous so the board underneath will get the weather.

Is the OSB an option at all here, or should I just stop now and swallow the cost of treated timber boards.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I’ve just overboard my brother in law decking used epdm to cover the board and glued the AstroTurf.

Sponsored Links
if we completely ignore the wet issue assuming up to 600 centres you would need a minimum 18mm
what centres and thickness are you planning??

We overboarded using 12mm marineply following the fall of the decking plus 10mm. We put plastic channel drainage for it to fall into and subsequently this falls into a small bucket which he uses to water the plants. The plastic turf we chose can be easily brushed to remove excess water as well. It was the first time either of us had attempted this and we are pleased with the results. Been in place about 6 months and no issues as yet.

18mm 400mm joist spacing.
if there is zero damp transfer then the structure should be good to excellent as its engineered with a perhaps 30% -50% redundancy
but off course as all the strength is in the glue bond any damp will knacker the board if it rises above the level the glue fails

18mm 400mm joist spacing.
if there is zero damp transfer then the structure should be good to excellent as its engineered with a perhaps 30% -50% redundancy
but off course as all the strength is in the glue bond any damp will knacker the board if it rises above the level the glue fails

Yeah that’s my concern. I think it wiuld be strong enough, but after 2 years in all weather I reckon I would start to feel the strength going. And if there’s hot tub on it then won’t be easy to replace.

I’ve been thinking about buying a workbench recently, think I will carve up to OSD a make one from scratch. That plus a few 2x4s and I reckon I can come up with something ok.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back