think I was a bad boy when I was younger...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the days of my youth, just starting in the trade as a lowly "mate", my mother asked me to get rid of a single socket on a wall in the kitchen where it was going to be a breakfast bar..

this socket is in steel conduit, and was crimped through and left earthed to the back box.. I then fitted a 3mm stainless steel plate over the box, ( screwed to the box itself so also earthed.. ) and it was then plastered over..

they have no intention of moving untill they are taken out in a box, and they know that the socket is still there..

as there is no visible indication that the socket cables are still there I'm now thinking (after progressing in my education ) that it definitely needs cutting off in the floor space above and jointing.. ??

Sponsored Links
If it is in steel conduit, then what you have done is actually fully compliant. However, it would be *nicer* removed from the circuit.

If it is in PVC conduit, it would not be compliant, and you should be pulling the cables up into the floor void.

I have seen people do what you did many times - mainly kitchen fitters.

Make sure you use a crimp type join in the flor void if it is in-accessible, else you will be feeling guilty years down the line once more!

I'm more worried about the steel gas pipe that runs under the floor tiles mid kitchen ( extension, pipe used to run along the wall.. not us that did it.. ) :eek:

I might talk my mother into re-instating the socket when she next decorates.. they have to plug their mobiles and battery charger in on the work surface next to the cooker otherwise..

If it is in steel conduit, then what you have done is actually fully compliant. However, it would be *nicer* removed from the circuit.

If it is in PVC conduit, it would not be compliant, and you should be pulling the cables up into the floor void.

I have seen people do what you did many times - mainly kitchen fitters.

Make sure you use a crimp type join in the flor void if it is in-accessible, else you will be feeling guilty years down the line once more!

i dont think it does comply.if he blanked it off and its not visible now,are the cables not going to be in a safe zone anymore?

Sponsored Links
Do cable in an earthed metallic conduit need to be in the safe zones? ;)

no.not if the depth is greater than 50mm.sods law says.............

Even if the depth is less than 50mm. Installed in an earthed metallic conduit which is suitable for use as a protective conductor is one of the other methods than using the safe zones.

err yeah.

blonde moment sorry.golfing all weekend,im a bit tired :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back