Thinking about a BTL on house

What if you owned outright a house worth £145,000. You could rent it for £625/month or sell it and bank the money.

What would you do?

Depends on personal circumstances I suppose. Are you happy where you are or are you itching to do something else where the money is required? I don't know whether I'm coming or going and BTL would tie me down. Not sure I really want to live in this country come the future either. I guess that answers that doesn't it?

Sponsored Links
Not bank it.

Invest it.

Depends where you want to be down the line.

I'd need to own the property for some time in order to recoup the appreciated value , if it does appreciate at all, and I'm not sure I'd want to do that, so yeah.

Not bank it.

Invest it.

Could you match the rental income with a low risk investment?

An investment could be less of a headache than renting but at the same time a house would be good to help the kids onto the housing ladder.

There are a lot of things to consider Hawkeye, and whilst BTL isn't as good was it was, it isn't a complete loss. I'm not sure your age or circumstances, nor how you view long term investments or risks, but if you consider it as a rising asset investment, then as long as you can cover your costs, then it can be better than the stock market, because you'll have a bigger asset value than just your deposit. If you want to travel, then you need to be making enough rent to cover the mortgage interest, any costs, and the letting agents fees, but if you want it as extra income, then forget it.

I bought a flat in London back in 89, for 116K, and then sold it 6 years later for 128K, and that was during a recession, but today, it's worth about 950K (God I wish I'd kept it). About 5 years later, I picked up a couple of flats for 25K each, and they're now worth about 100 each, but whilst it's taken 20 years to reach that, it's still been better than inflation. I have 4 properties that will continue giving me rent and are effectively a pension income, yet I can still pass them onto my daughter.

I had a endowment mortgage on the London flat, and fortunately, kept the endowment policy going when I sold the flat, so although it didn't grow as much as it should have, I'm going to be okay - just. But the other trick to consider, is adding the deposit to your pension. The government pay in at your highest tax rate (but they're dropping it soon, or may even have done so already), so you add £1000 to your pension, and the government add in £200, (or £400 for higher rate payers) and you can go back on 6 years worth of tax, plus the fact that it'll grow nicely, a 20% addition to your pension gratis from the government, is the best interest rate you'll ever get.

But if you can get the property under for 125K, and all the figures balance out, then I'd go for it.

Sponsored Links
There are a lot of things to consider Hawkeye, and whilst BTL isn't as good was it was, it isn't a complete loss. I'm not sure your age or circumstances, nor how you view long term investments or risks, but if you consider it as a rising asset investment, then as long as you can cover your costs, then it can be better than the stock market, because you'll have a bigger asset value than just your deposit. If you want to travel, then you need to be making enough rent to cover the mortgage interest, any costs, and the letting agents fees, but if you want it as extra income, then forget it.

I bought a flat in London back in 89, for 116K, and then sold it 6 years later for 128K, and that was during a recession, but today, it's worth about 950K (God I wish I'd kept it). About 5 years later, I picked up a couple of flats for 25K each, and they're now worth about 100 each, but whilst it's taken 20 years to reach that, it's still been better than inflation. I have 4 properties that will continue giving me rent and are effectively a pension income, yet I can still pass them onto my daughter.

I had a endowment mortgage on the London flat, and fortunately, kept the endowment policy going when I sold the flat, so although it didn't grow as much as it should have, I'm going to be okay - just. But the other trick to consider, is adding the deposit to your pension. The government pay in at your highest tax rate (but they're dropping it soon, or may even have done so already), so you add £1000 to your pension, and the government add in £200, (or £400 for higher rate payers) and you can go back on 6 years worth of tax, plus the fact that it'll grow nicely, a 20% addition to your pension gratis from the government, is the best interest rate you'll ever get.

But if you can get the property under for 125K, and all the figures balance out, then I'd go for it.

Sterling info as always Doggs I'll give it a good think.

Intersting article in the Mail today, wheewby £1k invested in the stock market in 1970, would now be work over £232K. And it seems that the stick market has always grown better under the Tories, than under Labour. Before I spotted this, I was going to suggest that if the rent earned enough to pay a repayment mortgage, then the property would have payed itself off after 25 years, and still risen in value, But maybe it would be better investing the deposit in the stock market looking at those rises.

Looks as though there's no right and wrong answer on this one.

Other differences

Voids none
Maintenance none
Repairs none
Legal costs none
Agents fees none (unless you are very foolish)
Accounting costs none
Roof falling in none
Neighbour disputes none
Tax free ISA option readily available
Income gradually increases without you having to do anything
Ability to add or remove cash according to circumstances
All or part of income can be reinvested for more compound growth
Continued generating growth and/or income even if you are busy, old, frail, or overseas
Can be divided up and shared out e.g. for family reasons or to buy a ferrari without impacting the remaining investment.

Other differences

Voids none
Maintenance none
Repairs none
Legal costs none
Agents fees none (unless you are very foolish)
Accounting costs none
Roof falling in none
Neighbour disputes none
Tax free ISA option readily available
Income gradually increases without you having to do anything
Ability to add or remove cash according to circumstances
All or part of income can be reinvested for more compound growth
Continued generating growth and/or income even if you are busy, old, frail, or overseas
Can be divided up and shared out e.g. for family reasons or to buy a ferrari without impacting the remaining investment.

What you said is very valid, but it can be difficult to pick the winning stock(imaging bought RBS before the crash). I think it is better to invest in some kind of tracker fund and diverse to different markets, then drip funds your investment.

I've got three and won't be buying any more. One is a holiday let. The deposit protection scheme is a faff and you will expect property purchased to be flat on growth for the next 12-18 months in London at least. If you've got cash, then there are better returns elsewhere, however if you are gearing your credit (i.e. buy to let with a big mortgage) then its probably OK long term. Just prepare for an eventuality where your mortgage/monthly costs aren't covered.

I would expect a new labour government to increase second home tax. Just saying.

What you said is very valid, but it can be difficult to pick the winning stock(imaging bought RBS before the crash). I think it is better to invest in some kind of tracker fund and diverse to different markets, then drip funds your investment.

yes, a tracker fund will outperform the majority of active fund managers, and has significantly lower costs.

for a person who is not an enthusiastic private investor, there is extra work but no advantage in moving to individual holdings. The amateur is especially likely to buy fashionable stocks when they're high, and sell when they're low.

Some people think that Branson's Virgin must be a good tracker, but it has abnormally high charges.

The next level up in the risk/reward continuum would be a generalist Investment Trust, preferably one with an in-house savings scheme to minimise dealing costs.

Here's one I bought earlier:
https://markets.ft.com/data/investment-trust/tearsheet/summary?s=TMPL:LSE

And here's one that's a hedge against the Brexit disaster
https://markets.ft.com/data/investment-trust/tearsheet/summary?s=FEV:LSE

Ishares and ETFs are normally better than managed funds. Purely because there are often input and exit fees for managed funds.

LON:MIDD FTSE 250 is doing 26% p/a at the moment. If you open an ISA trading account all your dividends can be auto reinvested. tax free.

... and interest rates used to be 15%.

Just imagine if that came back.

I'd be extremely happy if they ever rose to half that.

Last edited:
Sounds to me like motorbiking is a bloated capitalist in the unusual condition of holding excess cash.

Back in Thatcher's days of high interest, we also has high inflation, so there were a lot of losers on all sides.

I believe auctioneers and insolvency practitioners did well.

Sponsored Links
Back