Thompson's Damp Seal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
just wondering about this product.
I'm decorating my bathroom and have a few damp/mould patches in one or two areas due to p-oor ventilation rather than a water leak.
I've got a tin of Thompson's Damp Seal on which it says that it can be painted over with emulsion after a few hours.
I've also got some Dulux Bathroom + paint and wondered whether or not I could use this over the top of the Damp Seal.
Any help would be gratefully received.
Thanks in advance,

Slime.

Sponsored Links
Remove the mould with some neat bleach, make sure you wear rubber gloves, rinse off and apply an emulsion that contains a mould inhibitor, these are widely available in painters merchants/diy outlets. When you use the bath/shower thereafter, make sure the window is open or the extractor fan is on, heat and ventilation will prevent mould spots. If they are on the ceiling check in the loft that the insulation is covering the whole ceiling, cold spots attract condensation and lead to mould growth.

Thanks ic1927,
will look into the loft insulation situation tomorrow.
Is Dulux Bathroom+ any good? It is water based.
Thanks,

Slime.

Sponsored Links
in these situations i tend to wash down the mould with a fungicidal wash and then paint with an anti mould emulsion. i tend to use glidden anti mould vinyl or johnstones anti mould acrylic. both seem like good trade products with a decent finish. haven't used dulux kitchen and bathroom so couldn't comment on that product.

in these situations i tend to wash down the mould with a fungicidal wash and then paint with an anti mould emulsion. i tend to use glidden anti mould vinyl

And the choice of coulours in this product are?

Thanks ic1927,
will look into the loft insulation situation tomorrow.
Is Dulux Bathroom+ any good? It is water based.
Thanks,

Slime.

Yes its water based. i've used this product several times. Its good but you have to be quick when applying it due to drying times.

in these situations i tend to wash down the mould with a fungicidal wash and then paint with an anti mould emulsion. i tend to use glidden anti mould vinyl

And the choice of colours in this product are?

they can mix any colour off the card or with in reason!!! quite a large choice TBH!!! maybe have to go to either dulux trade center or johnstones trade center to get the required mix though.

they can mix any colour off the card or with in reason!!! quite a large choice TBH!!! maybe have to go to either dulux trade center or johnstones trade center to get the required mix though.

Thought as much. Not something you can pick up from your local shed then!

Thought as much. Not something you can pick up from your local shed then!

don't know TBH, i don't buy my paint products from a local shed i tend to go to trade centers as i get a better deal and the trade products tend to be supperior to the stuff you find in the sheds.

so you prefer all dulux paint over glidden? i tend to find that glidden emulsion is a better product as you can use straight from the tin. dulux tends to be a bit on the thick side so needs thinning down a bit to provide a smoother finish. johnstones paints are also very good quality so just wondering what faults you have found with this particular manufacturer?

so you prefer all dulux paint over glidden?

I said
Also, i'd use Dulux paint over glidden or johnstones any day.

i tend to find that glidden emulsion is a better product as you can use straight from the tin.

Certainly not my preferred method or that of a professional.

johnstones paints are also very good quality so just wondering what faults you have found with this particular manufacturer?

No faults, jonhnstones is a good product.

so you prefer all dulux paint over glidden?

I said
Also, i'd use Dulux paint over glidden or johnstones any day.

i tend to find that glidden emulsion is a better product as you can use straight from the tin.

Certainly not my preferred method or that of a professional.

johnstones paints are also very good quality so just wondering what faults you have found with this particular manufacturer?

No faults, jonhnstones is a good product.

straight from tin obviously means the product can be poured into paint kettle's and trays with out thinning down, not literally from a tin as this is not a preferred method due to contamination of the paint. also at the moment i think in my professional opinion glidden emulsion is better for coverage and finish at the moment. i was always a fan of pre 2010 dulux glosses but found that the actual finish is now not that good. each manufacturer has plus points and bad points as i'm sure you would agree. generalizing all dulux products as better than glidden and johnstones is a bit nieve especially after 2010. have you not noticed any difference since 2010? do you just stick to one manufacturer due to an account? do you work for dulux?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back