Thorn 15/30 boil pilot light wont stay on.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys...my son in law is having probs with his old Thorn Myson 15/30 boiler.

Had an engineer look at it last week as the pilot light wont stay on after lighting.

The engineer fitted a new thermocouple which did not fix it...he then said its the overheat cutout and he cant get one with it being so old...you try on ebay if you like he said.

We found one and it came today...I fitted it for him...but still no joy...the light will light as before but as the button is released the light goes out.

Any ideas or check we can do...is there an easy way to check that the new therm couple is working and for that matter the over heat cut out...can we by-pass to just test them.

Nick.

Sponsored Links
sorry we all know the answer but the site rules prevent us from telling you, you should have called a better gas engineer, probably the easiest to test over heat thermocouple interrupter available, he could have tested that in under a minute. get a decent gas engineer out

My son in law is going to ring the guy who came last time to take another look with the new part....but from what you say we maybe wasting our time if he could have ruled this part out on his last visit.

Now the prob is how do we find a good engineer.

And I understand what you say about not being able to advise about DIY.

I certainly wouldnt call the same engineer if you post your sons location there are a lot of good lads on here and they might be able to recommend someone local

Sponsored Links
Its all sorted now...many thanks guys for your advice.

Turns out it was the main valve control block....cant remember its proper name.

The other so call engineers will prob send a bill even thought they didn't fix it....both the parts they fitted where fully serviceable and not req say the chap who came today...he advised not to pay them...wonder where I stand on that one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back