Threading the shaft of a paint roller

This is a lovely idea, and I hope it does happen in my lifetime, but I fear there is a huge difference between 3d printing metal objects and the current "solidified snot" technology.

Metal appears to be a few years off but close. But look what can be achieved with hard plastic.

I may be getting my first one this year because I'm eagar to start learning and the prices really have become reasonable

Sponsored Links
OP,
I admire and endorse your make do and mend attitude but you slightly trip yourself up with the rumination
that you "might shell out for a tap & die set"?

I put the washer back on the shaft and fitted on a 8mm star lock washer. The fit was a bit tight, and I didn't buy the 10mm (which I thought I had) but it seems to be stuck fast. Not sure how it'll cope with the build up in paint because I've lost that protective plastic cap on the end, but we'll see.

IMG_20170516_232141.jpg

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ the washer is a behind obviously. The cage moves freely (just as good as before). So I consider this job done. If this fails I'll give the tap and die a go. Didn't really want to shell out on a set at this time if I'm honest, but yeah I get your point. Still, every move away from making a purchase is a good move don't you think?

It's not the money though chappers it's about moving away from needlessly buying products that we now have the technology to make last. What with the advent of 3d printing it won't be long before you'll be able to print a replica fitting or fixture for all those odds and sodds that go wrong that the manufacturer doesn't have the part for or will not have the part for. Or even better, what about being able to print your own tools? It'll be a reality in our lifetimes. The point being, they manfucature products not to last, it's called planned obsolescence. It's a fundamental part of industrial design. In short it means designing a product so that it will eventually go wrong and you'll have to buy something new. We now live in a time where we can wrestle control from these companies and utilise localised manufacturing (home 3d printing for example). It's a complete gamechanger and I think it's an incredible, facinating and exiting thing. I suppose this doesn't compare to me fixing this paint roller by having to buy additional parts but it's the next step up from throwing it away. You get my point lol.
Oh I wholeheartedly agree, but there is an alternative too. when this cage does eventually bite the dust, buy a decent double arm frame.
The one I have must be over 40 years old I remember my Dad using it when I was a kid.

Sponsored Links
Oh I wholeheartedly agree, but there is an alternative too. when this cage does eventually bite the dust, buy a decent double arm frame.
The one I have must be over 40 years old I remember my Dad using it when I was a kid.

I suppose the weakest link is the plastic cup that holds the metal ribs in place. Something that may be easily printable in the not too distant future. I'd like to print the cup that fits over the end as well :)

Seems false economy , especially when the repair fails and you end up with paint all over the carpets.?

Seems false economy , especially when the repair fails and you end up with paint all over the carpets.?

fox please look into 3d printing. It's possible to print objects that are durable and do last. Well, that last as long as the original product as a minimum. It's really not a false economy at all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back