Threading the shaft of a paint roller

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Don't see why I should throw this away just because the market dictates it's time for me to buy a new one. I'm not actually sure how it was constructed before but all I have at the moment is 2 washers.

What I want to do is thread the tip of the shaft and use a nut on the end but the nut would come loose quickly so what would I use instead? A dome nut would likely come loose just as quickly if that's what your thinking.

IMG_20170512_222843.jpg

Nothing wrong with the cage, or the handle, or the shaft, just the cage is loose.

IMG_20170512_222939.jpg

IMG_20170512_222902.jpg

IMG_20170512_222856.jpg

No. Not throwing it away.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Do you have calipers to get an accurate measurement of the diameter? You can thread it with a die if it just happens to be the right size...

m8-x-1.0-hexagon-hss-die-nut-metric-fine-2606-p[ekm]227x224[ekm].jpg

Or, could you file or dremel a very narrow groove all the way round and fit an E type circlip?

4115628.jpg

Or, drill a hole through it and fit an R clip...

r-clip-r-pin-rclip.jpg

You might need to make some kind of spacer to reach into the recess though, or just bung about 10 washers on there.

Fab mate thank you. It's 8mm but that's with a tape measure.

I'll investigate your suggestions ..

Sponsored Links
Might shell out on a tap & die set. I remember doing a tiny bit of threading in design technology back in school, just enough to remember how to do it.

File a chamfer on the shaft end, press the die on and turn clockwise.....once the die has gripped, back off a bit to remove the cut metal and then continue - give it a spray of duck oil or whatever to keep the die in good nick.
Half a turn clockwise, then quarter turn back.....trip down memory lane!
John :)

Once broken I straighten the bar in the vice and use as a paint stirrer.

Loctite would do the job, As would two nuts tightened against each other if there's enough thread, but a nylon nut would be the chapest.

Might shell out on a tap & die set. I remember doing a tiny bit of threading in design technology back in school, just enough to remember how to do it.
umm I respect your make do and mend attitude, but even a crappy cheap set is going to cost over a tenner whilst a new cage will be about £2.50

umm I respect your make do and mend attitude, but even a crappy cheap set is going to cost over a tenner whilst a new cage will be about £2.50

It's not the money though chappers it's about moving away from needlessly buying products that we now have the technology to make last. What with the advent of 3d printing it won't be long before you'll be able to print a replica fitting or fixture for all those odds and sodds that go wrong that the manufacturer doesn't have the part for or will not have the part for. Or even better, what about being able to print your own tools? It'll be a reality in our lifetimes. The point being, they manfucature products not to last, it's called planned obsolescence. It's a fundamental part of industrial design. In short it means designing a product so that it will eventually go wrong and you'll have to buy something new. We now live in a time where we can wrestle control from these companies and utilise localised manufacturing (home 3d printing for example). It's a complete gamechanger and I think it's an incredible, facinating and exiting thing. I suppose this doesn't compare to me fixing this paint roller by having to buy additional parts but it's the next step up from throwing it away. You get my point lol.

What with the advent of 3d printing it won't be long before you'll be able to print a replica fitting or fixture for all those odds and sodds that go wrong that the manufacturer doesn't have the part for or will not have the part for.

This is a lovely idea, and I hope it does happen in my lifetime, but I fear there is a huge difference between 3d printing metal objects and the current "solidified snot" technology.

OP,
I admire and endorse your make do and mend attitude but you slightly trip yourself up with the rumination
that you "might shell out for a tap & die set"?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back