Three Phase Labelling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are having to re-label some circuits at work as they have come off and dont know what to put for the three phase ones....

For single phase they go like: DB-A/1L1

How would you do the three phase ones?

Sponsored Links
We are having to re-label some circuits at work as they have come off and dont know what to put for the three phase ones.... For single phase they go like: DB-A/1L1 ... How would you do the three phase ones?
Whilst it's not obvious what some of the components of your single phase circuit descriptor relate to (particularly the "1" before "L1"), following that pattern one would probably expect DB-A/1L1, DB-A/1L2 and DB-A/1L3, wouldn't one? One does, of course, need to get the L1/L2/L3s on the right ones!

Kind Regards, John

The way I usually see it done and would usually do it..

DB-A/1L1 = Distribution board A Circuit position 1 Phase 1
DB-A/1L2 = Distridution board A Circuit position 1 Phase 2
DB-A/1L3 = Distridution board A Circuit position 1 Phase 3
DB-A/2 or DB-A/2L123 = Distribution board A Circuit position 2, 3 phase circuit

Last edited:
... in older installations you usually see

DB-A/R1
DB-A/Y1
DB-A/B1, etc.

With just DB-A/1 for a TP circuit

Sponsored Links
The way I usually see it done and would usually do it..

DB-A/1L1 = Distribution board A Circuit position 1 Phase 1
DB-A/1L2 = Distridution board A Circuit position 1 Phase 2
DB-A/1L3 = Distridution board A Circuit position 1 Phase 3
DB-A/2 or DB-A/2L123 = Distribution board A Circuit position 2, 3 phase circuit

Or where all 3 phases are used on way 1 DB-A/1/3P

Surely unless there is a mandatory identifying system which everybody has to use, then no electrician would (should) ever look at a label and just assume that it follows the same convention which he uses?

In which case
How would you do the three phase ones?
According to the convention described in the documentation for your installation.

you also find situations where some number there DBs different with respect to Mcb positions, so even though the points are nicely labelled, the mcb is not always in the position one would sometimes expect in the board

I would normally use DB4 8L2 for a single phase circuit and DB4 8TP for a three phase circuit. This seems to be the standard I normally encounter and should be understood by any competent person working on the installation.

I would normally use DB4 8L2 for a single phase circuit and DB4 8TP for a three phase circuit. This seems to be the standard I normally encounter and should be understood by any competent person working on the installation.
Exactly how I would do it, although quite often DBs can be DB-AL, DB-AP, DP-AH, three DBs close by each other, one for lighting, one for power, one for heat/AC. This is for the sub metering required on larger sites.

Odd how these things vary in tiny ways as you go round the country...

I would write DB-A/8L1-3 rather than DBA-8TP

I'd have DB-AL, DB-AP, and DB-AM (mech services) rather than DB-AH

And if the boards are in a datacentre there may be a different set of "applications" to associate with DBs.

Always makes me ponder all these clever coded numbers, what is wrong with just a simple description giving location & use?

So at one day a major incident occurs that needs the supply disconnected in an emergency, perhaps by a fire fighter. just what do all those clever codes mean in that situation?
Why should folk wait around for a decode?
Why should more supplies than needed be disconnected because there is a code that is not understood?

All these codes look good, but really are they safe, easily understandable and serve a purpose other than say a label that actually gives a written, understandable location?

Codes like this are never used on most DLOs, each substation has a name, often of the road the site is on, sites either side are named with the switch going to that location so it is easy in whatever conditions to understand the destination of each circuit. If a code is used, or a circuit number these are generally in addition to a nice simple geographic location.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back