Thunder and (much needed) rain

very cool today by SE coast 20C - been great as i have got a lot of work done, i needed to do in garage this morning
Due rain tomorrow - 50/60%

Sponsored Links
We've had light/medium rain here in the South West this morning. Apparently, it's due to rain again this afternoon (y)

Sponsored Links
and it all floods into the rivers and out to sea.

We need beaver!
So that the beaver can build dams and prevent the water getting down the rivers and out to sea? That would result in the water flooding the land. Is that better?

Would dredging the rivers be better so that the water could get to the sea faster? I appreciate that dredging the rivers is not good for the wildlife that occupies the river bed but is that more important than preventing flooding of people's homes?

So that the beaver can build dams and prevent the water getting down the rivers and out to sea? That would result in the water flooding the land. Is that better?

Would dredging the rivers be better so that the water could get to the sea faster? I appreciate that dredging the rivers is not good for the wildlife that occupies the river bed but is that more important than preventing flooding of people's homes?

Most flooding occurs where man has tried to reclaim the flood plains and failed miserably. If natural flood plains are to be re-claimed then they first have to be prevented from flooding in adverse weather. This doesn't mean sticking a high wall along a river bank, it is far beyond that. The whole area has to, basically, be waterproofed completely. This could involve raising the whole plot of land or surrounding it with barriers. But consideration also has to be paid to prevent water rising up through the sub-strata, especially when you raise the level of the plot. Not paying attention to the substrata when building can mean it becomes de-stabilised when water penetrates underneath the new raised level.
It's a complicated process and the only real solution is o not build on flood plains and don't divert water courses without thorough investigation of what problems it may cause elsewhere.
During High School years in the 1960's we were taught about the 'Butterfly Effect'. What this shows is that when a structure or area is altered it can have a knock-on effect somewhere far away from the original site. E.G. Someone on the east coast builds a large breakwater on the beach, (or several smaller breakwaters), and this alters how the sea reaches land in that area. But what it also does is affect how the sea reaches land in many other place which even be as far away as Cornwall or even Wales. If you disturb the natural movement of something it will, simply, move something somewhere else.

Land is supposed to flood. But, beavers build dams upriver, and this can significantly slow the flow after heavy rain. They essentially create lots of mini dams.

Still cloudy, but looks like we're missing this wave - it's moving east.

1660574343915.png

Sponsored Links
Back