Tile bathroom walls or fit lvt floor first?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Which should I do first for my bathroom refit?

1) Fit wall to wall LVT (with holes for pipes / wastes etc) first and then tile down onto the floor?

2) Tile down onto the floor, and then lay in the LVT wall to wall up to the tiles?

Is it even a good idea to do wall to wall LVT and sit the bath / shower tray onto that?

In either case, do I need a bead of silicon between the floor and walls?

Many thanks.

P.S. this is my first attempt at a bathroom.

Sponsored Links
I would 100% tile first as you'll unavoidably drop tile adhesive/bits of tile/tools etc on the floor as you work and even if you put sheets down, treading on them could make a right mess of your LVT underneath.

I definitely wouldn't sit a shower tray or a bath on top of the LVT. Waste of time and money apart from anything else.

I did it the other way around and laid my LVT and then tiled. Just my preference and wanted full tile sat on the LVT if that makes sense. I laid sheets down when I did my tiling and didn't have any particular issues.

Bead of silicone- yes. Get a silicone profiling tool. Makes life much easier.

I laid LVT just beyond where the bath panel would sit. Bath went in first, and then did flooring.

I did it the other way around and laid my LVT and then tiled. Just my preference and wanted full tile sat on the LVT if that makes sense. I laid sheets down when I did my tiling and didn't have any particular issues.

Bead of silicone- yes. Get a silicone profiling tool. Makes life much easier.

I laid LVT just beyond where the bath panel would sit. Bath went in first, and then did flooring.

I would guess this gives a neater finish? Did you use clear or white silicone?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back