tile granule in gutter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My house is a detached built in 1993. While I clean the gutter, there are always some granules (brown sand-like stuff). I think they are washed down from the roof tiles (double Roman tiles maybe?) by the rain. The slope of the gutter is not so good hence there is always some standing water and these granules.

My question is, are the tiles supposed to lose granules like this? What is expected life span of tiles?

many thanks for any reply.

Sponsored Links
Even if the tiles were made of smooth glass there would still be debris lying in the gutter from all the wind blown debris, dust, bird muck, leaves...etc, etc.

Gutters need cleaning now and then regardless of slope or roof surface.

Having granular tile remnants in ones gutter is perfectly normal. I have seen cocrete interlocking tiles that are severly worn with well over 50 years on a roof with no problems.

It was always a standing joke here that the granules for granular tile will turn up on a separate delivery so no surprise that the granules are coming off of the tiles, they are only stuck on so over time do come loose, don't worry about it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back