Tile over junction box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I've just removed loads of old damaged plasterboard ready for new pb.

To my utter shock and suprise, i've found 3 junction boxes which was hidden all this time.

As the area is going to get re-tiled i'd rather not have 3 random blanking plates - probably why they were covered initially.

I'm not happy about ignoring them, re plasterboard it then tile over - nothing to see here!

So what i'm thinking is new plasterboard, then when putting on new tiles, use a tile as a blanking plate which screws into the junction box, do the grouting and job done, the screws will be visible

Then worst case scenario or inspection, undo the screws pull the the tile out and inspect, screw tile back in and re-grout.

Is there anything wrong with this idea? It would be amazing if there was a blanking plate which was recessed and you cut a tile which fits into it, exactly like man hole covers

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi thanka for the reply, moving them down behind the kitchen units would be ideal.

I might not have the terminology correct, but its where the cables are spured, obviously i wont be doing this but would like an idea of options available. Its just a double metal patress?

I guess moving them down would require a junction anyway as they wont be long enough

Sponsored Links
You need to establish what the junctions are serving and if this can be altered to eliminate the need of junction boxes at all or at least joints that are not hidden/inaccessible. You are in a position now, to be able to improve the situation, so why not do that?

Looking at it, theres one box which splits off to two more.

One goes to a socket above the cooker, then some more cables go up the wall then onto the extension where we have some sockets.

It looks a mess and no doubt bodged like other electrical things we've uncovered.

I'll hopefully get it sorted next week.

Is my idea sound from a regulation point of view? Albeit pointless if maintance free junctions put in place

The current regulations do not allow cables to be routed outside the prescribed safe zones, without being buried at a depth greater than 50mm or being mechanical protected. The regs also do not allow for inaccessible joints/junction that are not constructed in a maintenance free(MF) method. With regards to MF joints/junctions, there are some junction boxes available that comply to this method but saying that, you need to establish if they can be used for your situation, then there is always a concern that what exists, does not comply to regulations anyway and some work is required to make the circuit/circuits safe to put into continued service.

I strongly advise, that a competent electrician is instructed to address/correct your issue.

As above. The cables MUST be routed in recognised zones in the wall.
There have been a number of people who have died as a result of this not being followed
for example
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...r-electrocuted-in-botched-fitted-kitchen.html

Junctions, or not, the cables need sorting so they are where they are meant to be.
b66e76b43318302be55eab5dbeb45ff3

Hi,

Sorry I'm still a bit confused, is my method tiling over a junction box where the tile is the cover which can be removed allowed or not?

Only if:

Removing the tile does not provide direct access to live parts (ie there is a cover over the live parts)

and

The cables leading to that junction box are run in the safe zones as indicated.

If you remove the visible blanking plates then you remove the allowable zones for cables which they created, i.e. the one(s) I've highlighted here:

screenshot_1255.jpg

If your cables are in zones which only exists because of a visible accessory, i.e. are not in one of the zones 150mm from a corner or ceiling then no, it is not allowed.

Hi,

Sorry I'm still a bit confused, is my method tiling over a junction box where the tile is the cover which can be removed allowed or not?
No, the safe zones depend on visible accessories, not hidden junction boxes.

Right I think I get it, whats defined as visible though? The tile would have 2 screws in it, so easily removed and seen so not in-visible just blended in nicely.

I don't see the difference between undoing two screws and take a plastic cover off, and undoing two screws and taking a tile off?

whats defined as visible though?
It is a visible electrical point, such as an unmistakeable switch, socket, etc, or a blanking plate. What you have in mind would not be obvious as denoting a cable's route.

If there is no obvious termination point as described, then your only option is to re-route the cables properly.

The advice above regarding using a competent electrician may be the way forward.

Right I get you, yes I'll be getting an electrician in, it's just I'm trying to figure out what can be achieved and it sounds like for the junction boxes where they are now, crimp new cables on and move junction boxes (if still required) furthur down behind a kitchen cupboard.

That way we don't have blanking plates where our new tiling will go for no user purpose (ie a socket).

It does make me laugh and a bit annoyed as there's so many regulations, yet when selling or buying a house none of it is needed, beggers belief

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back