Junction behind tile - how to make right?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm doing a bit of bathroom renovation and one of the tasks is replacing the light fixture on the wall that sits above the sink.

However, behind one of the tiles a previous owner extended the wires through a channel in the wall and up and above where the tiles end. Previously this was covered with a blanking plate with a large square plastic edge that was attached to the tiles with foam tape.

Basically my question is - how do I make this right?

I'm thinking first, the existing wires need to be properly wired up using a waterproof junction box. But then, how do I cover this afterwards? Presumably I need to keep this accessible, but all the blanking plates I can find are a bit too small to cover this area. Any ideas or suggestions?

(ignore the messy walls, clearly still a work in progress)

tile-2.jpg

Sponsored Links
I'm thinking first, the existing wires need to be properly wired up using a waterproof junction box.
Only needs to be waterproof if there'll be water getting in there. Will there be?

But then, how do I cover this afterwards? Presumably I need to keep this accessible,
Maintenance-free connections don't need to be accessible

but all the blanking plates I can find are a bit too small to cover this area. Any ideas or suggestions?

(ignore the messy walls, clearly still a work in progress)
Are you planning to re-tile? If not, then you'll need something there. Mirror?

It's about 1m above a sink, so I'm not worried about water coming in.

I hadn't thought of a maintenance-free box. Good to know they don't need to be accessible. I guess in that case then, I can re-wire with a maintenance free box and then just tile over?

If the cable comes from above, make the joint in the loft or floor void and thread a fresh length of cable down to the light fitting.

Sponsored Links
Switch finger plate will likely be enough so it covers full area of the tile.
Ahhhh this what was originally on it. Good to have a name for this now.

Thanks all for the tips. Lots to go on from here to get this tidy'd up and on to the next task.

It's about 1m above a sink, so I'm not worried about water coming in.
Condensation ? Damp on a maintenance free terminal can create enough leakage current to trip an RCD, Hidden junction boxes have to be found and checked by an electrician testing the installation when hunting the cause of RCD trips.

I hadn't thought of a maintenance-free box. Good to know they don't need to be accessible
Read https://electrical.theiet.org/media...tions-and-maintenance-free-junction-boxes.pdf and then decide if you can fit the necessary cable clamping behind that tile.
If the cable comes from above, make the joint in the loft or floor void and thread a fresh length of cable down to the light fitting.
That is the best advice,

If it comes from above why does it carry on downwards below the light?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back