Tile paint/primer - is inecessary or will ordinary paint do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have some old burgundy tiles that I'm thinking of painting white. It doesn't really matter what it looks like because it's going on a wall at the back of a cupboard which will then have shelves all over it so won't see much of the paint. I just want to lighten it up a bit in there as there's no natural light. But I obviously don't want it to be peeling and flaking off... do I really need to use a special (ie. expensive!) tile primer and paint or can you use ordinary paint & gloss? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
i would recommend a tile primer for its adhesion properties. undercoat will not adhere properly and will easily scrape off.

Specifically tile primer - not other primer? I have a tin of oil-based primer in the cupboard, don't suppose that would do? And what on top of the primer - special tile paint or normal gloss? Thank you very much!

i would use tile primer as this will bond to the ceramic. you can then just undercoat and gloss over the top. the primer is the most important part though.

Sponsored Links
International also do a one coat tile paint that doesn't need a primer. It's pretty expensive, but not needing the primer, it should work out cheaper (and quicker) overall.

TILE PAINT

Thanks for that info I was not aware that they did, don't myself care for painting over tiles yet handy to know.

Dec

Must admit, it's not a job I care to do either but having used the seperate primers and topcoats on a few occasions, if I ever have to do it again I will give it a try - not tried it yet so don't know how good it is. (Probably should have mentioned that in my initial post :confused: )

Not a problem, yet as said it is not work of which I care to undertake, Ronseal as well do a one coater, yet I doubt that I put that one to the test.

Dec

Bedec do a similar product called multi surface paint. They claim it can go straight on tiles with no primer/undercoat required, it comes in gloss or satin.

I'll have a look at those ones too, thanks. I apinted tiles in the kitchen once, as a temp job only intended to last a year. I hated the look and would never do it on anything that's going to be on show but I really think it will be virtually unnoticeable here. I just want it to stay on the wall :)

Thanks for the tips here, I got some International Tile Primer & have done 2 coats. There's still a lot of the original colour showing through (it was dark red and I'm changing to white) and I was wondering whether I ought to put on undercoat before the gloss, or can I do more coats of primer until it's ready for gloss? I know that you usually go primer, undercoat, gloss but I was just wondering whether I could use more primer instead of undercoat as the tin will only go to waste otherwise! Also this is nice, water-vased primer and I hate using oil-based undercoat :)

You should have only applied one coat of primer, your need is only to provide a bond and not obliterate the surface/substrate.

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back