tile pattern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all, fantastic forum with great input from you all.

I am laying 60cmx30cm black tiles and would welcome comments and experiences on the pattern for laying these. room is a knocked a through kitchen diner 6m x 3m. kitchen units are across one end and along one wall, L shaped :confused:

Sponsored Links
I would suggest that you only have two realistic options, straight lines or staggered, i.e edge of one tile to the centre of the one above. The problem with an L shaped room is that diagonal looks odd, it does to me anyway.

The problem with staggered is that you have to make real sure that you are not left with any small cuts next to the plinths of the work units, or walls.

If you go for straight lines then use the longest run you have, normally from a doorway as your centre line - it looks better on your eye that way. Either centre a tile in the middle of the doorway or use the centre as your grout line.

Whatever you decide lots of laying out will make your job easier.

Thanks for your input Toptec, appreciated. What are you thoughts on laying tiles in groups of two horizontal pair then vertial pair ?

II=II=II=
=II=II=II
II=II=II=

The tiles are slate effect with slight profile pattern.

BTW the room is currently totaly empty, i was going to tile the lot, I know there will be plenty of tiles unseen, but thought this would be a more thorough job.

Sure.... a double or a quarter stagger. Would look pretty good but you will still have to be VERY carefull to leave good sized cuts against the walls/units.

My neighbour didn't do that and the finished edges look pretty crap with bits of tile 1cm wide against some of the walls!

I have also seen a third stagger, where the tiles overlap by a third each time.

Are you intending to sit the units on top of the tiles? Might be a pain if your wife is like mine and changes stuff every 5 years or so. I think the general reccomendation is to tile up to the units unless they are free standing ones.

Sponsored Links
your certainly doing it the right way by having a totally empty room, less hassle for you, or any starter, i think the pattern you put up is ok, however i would just go for staggard or straight lines on your first attempt, unless you have patience, the straight or staggard is pretty easy and wont take a lot of thinking on your part, if your doing a pattern you may, if not concentrating miss something or get lost and start to panic and get something wrong.

thanks for your help toptec and jefoss, appreciated, think I have it all clear in mind thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back