Tile surround sparkling but bathtub ruined

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
No wonder I had put this job off for so long. I wanted to repaint the tiles around the tub, but needed to strip the old paint off first. As advised by several paint shops, I bought that heavy duty stripper, the kind that you need to wear goggles and practically a space-suit for protection against fumes. It went swimmingly, the paint peeled off like a dream but after that job was done I noticed that the paint stripper had run down into the tub. The tub being plastic, it has now got surface erosion where the paint stripper seeped. Kind of ruins the nice look of the newly painted tiles, I SO wish I had used more sense and properly covered the tub with something besides newspaper. I thought I was being so careful.

Would a little bit of sanding of the tub be the cure for its present unsightliness (and rough feel)? Or is a new tub the only option? I've heard that there is a service of tub refinishing, but to my knowledge that is just for enamel. I think I have acquired 'tub envy', most stirred when I see my friends' pristine white fixtures!

Any help greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back