Tiles flush with plaster - adhesive bed depth

DJM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am updating the downstairs toilet and have discovered the original 1920's floor tiles below the carpet are in not bad condition and we want to keep them. The need a little tlc and I will ask about that in another thread. Bit, to keep the theme I have bought some matt black/white chequer mosaic tile to use as the basin splashback and run a border around the room.

I had a mad idea that it would be a good idea to make this border flush with the plaster which means removing the plaster back to brick. Now the issue is that means the depth brick to plaster would be about 20mm. As the mosaic tiles are very thin that would seem a far too large adhesive bed (and be expensive)

So is the idea mad, is there a better way of doing it, or should I just cut the old plaster out then fill with a 10mm plaster skim to have a 10mm adhesive bed?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back