Tiles lifting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My neighbour had an outhouse converted to a utility room with a new back entrance. The place was built in the 1940s and I suspect the concrete floor has no DPM. The people who converted it did a generally poor job (I’ve already done remedial work on the roof and guttering for them).

The issue now is with the ceramic floor tiles. Some have lifted in the heavy traffic area inside the back door. The others so far are staying put. I know that in theory one should redo it all, but ripping up the rest of the tiles isn’t an option, because there are units and appliances, and they wouldn’t want the disruption.

My question is what could I re-bed the tiles in, to give a reasonable chance of staying put? There isn’t any depth for a localised liquid DPM as well as tile adhesive. I was thinking of using a cement-based exterior adhesive onto the concrete (plus SBR?) and hoping for the best.

Sponsored Links
What kind of screed was used? If it was Calcium Sulfate/Anhydrite then the lot will probably pop. Sounds like poor prep on the floor to me.

Regarding the refits, you have the nail on the head. SBR - Bal Max Flex (Topps sell a 5kg) - Grout.

No screed was used, it was tiled straight onto a 1940s concrete outbuilding floor. The bloke who did it parked his horse in the drive.

It's all coming up and being replaced with laminate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back