Tiles removing plaster / skim coat.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm removing tiles from the bathroom in preparation for retiling however the tiles are pulling off some plater/skim coat.

What should be my plan of action in terms of preparing the area before retiling?

uc

My first post here thankyou for any help.

Sponsored Links
Using a SF #20018 decorators knife or similar but cheaper from pound shop, you can sometimes slip the blade down the back of the tile and ease it off without damage to plaster board.

However, its sometimes easier to cut out the p/b sheets with tile attached.
If the area you are working on is a wet area then the p/b should be replaced with backer board anyhow.

Thanks for the reply, i've decided to cut out the plasterboard and re-board, and use backer board in wet areas.

I don't plan to skim the boards as they will have tiles, but what is the best way to have the new plasterboards and tile backer be flush with the old plasterboard that has the skim on which would make it ever so slightly thicker?

Best way will be shim the studs so the new boards are more or less (1mm) flush with the old. Felt support trays (cut into narrow strips) are my favourite for this type of bodge :)

Sponsored Links
Best way will be shim the studs so the new boards are more or less (1mm) flush with the old. Felt support trays (cut into narrow strips) are my favourite for this type of bodge :)

Yep, spare wooden slats from a venetian blind and strips cut from the unused back panel of an ikea kitchen unit have both been used here for this purpose :D

As they say - if it looks stupid, but it works, then it ain't stupid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back