Tiling Advice Needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Further to my earlier posts, I'm now trying to tile the other side of the bathroom.

To do this, I've had to remove the existing tiles that were on the wall - not an easy job and as the walls were plasterboard there's a few holes developed where, when I've pulled the tile of the wall, some of the plaster has come off with it.

A few queries:-

Pic 1 below:- The two walls shown are (a) pink matt paint with glitter gloss applied, and (b) gold metallic paint. Can I use pva primer on both these walls to give a surface that the tiles (a combination of 1 inch square mosaics and 6 x 4 inch ceramics) adhesive will then adhere to?

Pic 2 below:- What is best to fill the (big) gaps in the wall - try and build it back with tile adhesive, let that dry and then sand smooth, and then tile?

Pic 3 below:- The wooden battens have obviously been installed to allow/support a lipped bit of tiling to come out from the wall at the head of the bath. When stripping off the existing tiles, the wooden battens had a sheet of plasterboard screwed into the them, with the tiles then sitting on the plasterboard. Question for this one is, do I need to use plasterboard before I apply tiling, or can I apply the 6 x 4 ceramics directly to the wooden batten (i.e. top and bottom of the tile would sit against the top bit of wood and bottom bit of wood, with the back of the middle of the tile exposed in the cavity behind)?

Pic1:-

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Pic 2:-

Pic 3:-

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/b]

Sponsored Links
pic 1) Sand down the paint so to from a key, then PVA.

pic 2) It's a stud wall, cut out damaged board and replace for new, believe will save a load of hassle. On the dot'n'dab wall fill holes with bonding plaster or sand/cement render.

pic 3) Board it.

You will also so find, that the remaining adhesive will soften by using a wallpaper steamer on it, making it easier to remove.

pic 1) Sand down the paint so to from a key, then PVA.

pic 2) It's a stud wall, cut out damaged board and replace for new, believe will save a load of hassle. On the dot'n'dab wall fill holes with bonding plaster or sand/cement render.

pic 3) Board it.

You will also so find, that the remaining adhesive will soften by using a wallpaper steamer on it, making it easier to remove.

Thanks, have installed plasterboard into the holes in the wall and onto the wood at the head of the bath, and am about to apply some bonding plaster into the remaining damaged parts of the wall.

For the pic below, do I need to put plasterboard down the strip of wood that runs from the top of the bath to the floor, or can I just apply the pva primer to the wood and tile onto that?

[IMG=http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4199/txr.JPG][/IMG]

Sponsored Links
What type of bath panel are you having, as I would be tempted to get rid of the timber altogether.

Problem is that the (back of the) head of the bath is about 1.5 inches from the wall.

The tiles we're putting on the wall are the same as the 6 x 4 ceramics as shown in the pic below (pic from the wall on the other side of the bathroom).

I would have boxed out horizontally level with bath and slightly recessed down side of bath, allowing for bath panel and a sliver of tile.

I would have boxed out horizontally level with bath.

Thanks, I think I'll change the box so its flush with bath.

What about tiling down that strip of wood at the side of the bath (from the top of the bath to the floor) - can I tile direct onto the wood (using a coat of pva primer inbetweeen, or do I need to gyproc it?

As edit, make allowances for the bath panel, recess the timber, so when tiled comes flush with panel. If you prime the timber, you should be okay to tile directly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back