Tiling an interior recessed manhole cover

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The manhole cover is pretty central to the room. I've considered doing it this way:

1) Making most economical cuts to tile manhole and fit, this will also give me my base level for the rest of the room.
2) Cut tiles to rest of room without attempting to line up grout lines with the tiles inside the rectangular manhole cover as cuts will not be economical

Question is how will this look? Is it essential to have the lines line up inside the cover with the rest of the room? I noticed walking around supermarkets that the tiling in most cases seems to be done separate to remaining tile areas as they very seldom line up

Thoughts ?

Sponsored Links
Not matching the grout lines will make it stand out a lot, and probably look crap.

Can you post a photo, someone might have a genius solution to the predicament!

If you think it through you don't need anymore tiles to tile the manhole cover properly than you would if the cover wasn't there.

Lay the tiles out checking no thin strips as normal and just cut around the manhole, the offcuts will be lightly too big for the manhole cover so just cut them down and maintain the grout joins.

Sponsored Links

Picture as requested. Picture is taken from where a door is

Thanks IJ.

Ok then, so in that case I'll do as follows:

Break out and re-fit manhole (currently it's flush with floor wrongly)

Re-fift 15mm above finish floor level (allows for 8mm ceramic tile and a 6mm bed of adhesive)

Fill manhole with cement and make good.

Lay out and cut floor tiles to suit, bed and grout

Cut, fit and bed remaining wall tiles under any remaining battens

Finish with silicone at edges and allow for expansion in the cut

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back