Tiling help on black mortar please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I've just taken out the bathroom in my house.

It is 1920s built end terrace.

I have removed the tiles.

There is black mortar (I think) on the walls. The internal walls appear to be made entirely from this

This has previously been skimmed and tiled on by the looks of things.

I am removing all of this to reveal all the black mortar as its a small bathroom and a lot of it is loose.

The external wall which houses the current plumbing for the shower has partially come back to brick. However I was planning on putting studs up to extend the wall as I am fitting a walk in shower with tray and this will save chisling out more brick.

The other outside wall seems to have retained the black mortar.

I was planning on fixing Gypsum glasroc tilebacker to the walls

http://www.british-gypsum.com/products/glasroc-h-tilebacker

I was planning on installing it on the 2 partition walls (made from black mortar) and the one external wall using the DriLiner Basic system mentioned in the below PDF:

http://www.british-gypsum.com/~/media/Files/British-Gypsum/SITEBOOK/SITE-BOOK-Tiling.pdf

the one where the actual shower will be attached to, I will extend the walls and use this board.

Was planning on using this all around the bathroom and the ceiling

Just wanted to make sure this sounds OK

Some photos below

Any advice is much appreciated

Thanks in advance

Andy

Sponsored Links
The outside wall where the black mortar has stuck and appears OK - Plan on attaching the board by dot and dab with mechanical fasteners as per the Gypsum guide

Outside wall which I in tend on attaching studs to exend the wall - and putting the board on the studs. This will allow running the piping up for the shower valves and the shower head.

The black mortar on the two partition walls which I intend fixing the board to (dot and dab with the addition of mechanical fasteners as per the Gypsum guide)

I should mention that the tiles I use are within the strength limit of this board

And the walls are cavity walls

Many thanks

Andy

Sponsored Links
If you stud out the walls, or perhaps even just D&D them out, it might bring you out too far eg. in pic 1 you would be into the window frame.

Perhaps post pics of the room - annotate them if you can?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back