Tiling on plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I know cement board is advised but is it still ok to tile over moisture board provided it is 'tanked'. I did write in another forum previously but after having the moisture board delivered already... if I do it this way will it last?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
You can be I always plaster skim plasterboard first. Reason being, when you come to pull tiles off in the future, it destroys plasterboard. If you pull tiles off a plastered wall, at worst, it pulls some plaster off.

Is this area going to get wet? I assume it's a shower as you've mentioned tanking?

What size and thickness are the tiles?
Plasterboard has a limited weight capacity, skimming it reduces that even further.

Sponsored Links
It's an enclosed shower. I may just buy some aquapanels as I have read allot about avoiding using plasterboard... if I use aquapanel do i still have to tank the area?
My small showers now costing a small fortune in materials lol
Thanks

Tanking plasterboard should be fine, if you do it correctly then no water can penetrate into the plasterboard. Correctly being the key word - any small gaps would result in wet plasterboard, and wet plasterboard tends to fall apart.

I've done rooms with aquapanel cement board and not tanked them. Bear in mind aquapanel is not waterproof as such, it is however water resistant and will not fail by becoming wet, even if you soak it. Given that water can penetrate aquapanel, you then need to think about a few things. How powerful is the shower? (power-showers can force water thru the grout more easily and therefore transfer more water behind the tiles). What is behind the aquapanel? Bear in mind it cannot be dot/dabbed.

I've seen people do aquapanel and then tank it, the theory being that the room should be completely waterproof, but with the insurance behind it of water-resistant board. I have never felt the need to spend the extra money.

Thanks dagger;
What would you suggest then -
Moisture plaster board and tank it?
Aquapanel as it is or tanked?
The 3 walls of the shower are 2 stud walls the other is single brick wall.

So if aquapanel is not water proof the moisture would go into the timber on the stud wall? (If it penetrates the tiles/grout)

Thanks

If you've got a brick wall in the mix, personally I'd moisture board it and tank it.

Yes it is possible for moisture to go thru grout, thru adhesive, thru aquapanel, and onto whatever is behind it. This normally happens more with high-pressure showers and small-format tiles (more grout lines). It is unlikely for water to go through all that in significant quantities in most set-ups though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back