Tiling on wood boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening all,

After a weekend tiling I kitchen I figured out this morning the tile adhesive do not attach to the floor as you can see on the pictures. A nightmare. Not sure what type of wood floor this is, see picture attached.
Here is the process I followed:
- Priming. I used the BAL BOND SBR but only put one coat. It says that it can be used on wood but it did not specify the numbers of coat.
- I then used the MAPEI Keraflex tile adhesive. Do you think this makes a difference?
- Then placed the tile adhesive on the tile and then placed the tile on the floor, move it slighly to break the tile adhesive lines. Again, maybe it would have been better to place it on the floor instead?

Probably not the best techniques and your feedbacks are welcomed.

Do you think I can tile on this wood? What would you use? That would indeed be my favourite option even though I saw that:
1. Decoupling membrane can be used. However, it seems that I still need to apply tile adhesive in between the wood boards and the membrane. How can I be sure it will stick?
2. Backer boards. However these might create some problems as the floor will be very thick as I would have 6mm (board) + adhesive (4mm?) + tile (8mm).

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• 20221110_182748.jpg
    20221110_182748.jpg
    387.7 KB · Views: 68
  • 20221110_200856.jpg
    20221110_200856.jpg
    363.6 KB · Views: 57
Sponsored Links
That looks like MDF and is not ideal for tiling especially in a kitchen which is liable to humidity and water damage.
You should really rip the lot up and replace with Ply or proper tile backer boards.

Wrong base , take up and replace , wrong tile ? They look like wall tiles.
Wrong method , tile cement is applied to both floor and tile (buttered).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back