Tiling over vinyl tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So sorry if this has been asked before. I am looking to fit a new kitchen in the summer and have been doing some advance planning. I want to fit a new floor and at the moment have carpet down. Pulled it back last week to find tiles underneath - had a bit of a dig around the edges of a couple and they appear to be a stuck fast. I have a funny feeling that these tiles contain asbestos - looked at a few photos online and they look pretty similar (got confirmed asbestos in the artex in all my ceilings too but that's a different story).

So, I had a better look at the floor today and the tiles are in really good shape - with concrete beneath them. My thinking is that the safest thing would be to lay my new floor over the top of these - I really don't want to be digging up possible asbestos with children in the house.

Obviously I don't want to sand down the existing tiles either. Can you get primers to paint them instead and then just lay the new floor down on top? If so, where do you get primer from - I have done a quick google but can't seem to find anything. I'm not sure I'm looking for the right thing so would be grateful for some advice.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like old ..Marley tiles...are they thin tiles couple off mm thick?

What type off flooring are you putting down??

Anyway you can just use a slc (self levelling compound).....IMO a latex based one I use F Ball ranges,these are slightly dearer than your local shed ones..

You can and will get a primer with your slc,..again depends on where and who's you use...

There are also water based slc as well...but I am not a great lover off these...

Just finished doing the same thing. The tiles on my floor were PVC and well adhered. I think you are best to use a good quality flexible quick setting adhesive, then grout with a flexible grout. I used French manufactured products from Desvres they are top quality but you will be able to get similar in the UK. Give the tiles a good scrub dowm with sugar soap and a green pot scrubber first the wash with clean water and allow to dry completely before laying tiles. Remember the adhesive sets quickly so don't make up too much at one time only what you can use in say 45 mins. You should have no problems provided the PVC tile are well adhered and you use good quality adhesive and grout! Also if you use they correct adhesive ( CERMIPLUS XL FLEX) you will not need to prime the floor before tiling.

tictics method works well, but you can just paint a slurry coat onto the floor and tile straight on with 1 part flexi adhesive.

Slurry coat is a mix of acrylic bonding agent and ordinary portland cement.

Your existing tiles MUST be securely stuck down though.

Sponsored Links
Not disagreeing with anyone .. but if you buy the correct Desvres adhesive (CERMIPLUS XL FLEX) which should be available in the UK they say there is no need to use a bonding agent on old PVC tiles provided they are well adhered to the floor. REMEMBER though if using a porcelain tile you must skim the back of the tiles with adhesive when laying. So again if you use this fast setting adhesive factor this into your time, it only adds about a minute per tile but you may take longer! The adhesive is expensive so don't waste it, make up small batches at a time.

Thanks for all your responses.

Tictic: I haven't decided what to put down yet but I'm veering away from ceramic tiles after walking on a friend's kitchen floor today - her ceramic tiles were so cold it was almost painful to walk on them. May try a laminate as this sounds a bit warmer underfoot. Sounds like an slc would be a good start whatever I decide to put down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back