Tiling & Panelling Questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

So, we have just inherited our late mother-in-laws bungalow which needed modernising, especially the bathroom. Everything is stripped out and walls back to plaster. I have a couple of questions if I may, firstly i'll explain what we are trying to do - it's will be a rental.

On a 2000mm (w) x 2400mm (h) wall I am going to tile 550mm x 335mm ceramic
On a 1700mm (w) x 2400mm (h) and 900mm (w) x 2400mm wall we are going to be panelling.
P shaped bath will be going on to faciliate the already plumbed electric shower on the 900mm wall.

Now my last tiling foray was a couple of years ago with small metro tiles - easy enough to do with a relatively good finish.

Tiling:
- as these are larger format tiles, is there a specific adhesive I should go for, obviously powdered?
- as I said, i've done tiling before but definitely not a speed-pro, is a standard/slow set probably best for me here?
- Also spacing wise im thinking 2mm spacers - would this be ok - white grout line
- Would a white adhesive be preferable here or grey (grey seems cheaper for some reason) or does it not matter as long as im tidy?

Second question is, panel trims, is there such a thing as a internal corner trim that will accept both the tile and the panel...the panels are 10mm thick if I recall and the tiles run to 8mm - alteratively, how would you manage the join? But the panel to the tiles and silicone down?

Thirdly the panels themselves:
- I am wondering whether to panel the full 2400mm height where the bath is going to go, set the bath up against it and then seal bath to the panel, or would you advise to panel down to the top of the bath - the latter I see potentially causing more issues due to getting heights correct etc or am I overthinking here?

Any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated here.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back