Tiling prep for sand/cement wall with old adhesive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have read a number of posts on the forum before asking, but if someone would clarify I would be very grateful. I have an old sand/cement wall, that is mostly flat (with the odd smallish gouge) and the remains of old tile adhesive on (I have used a scraper to remove as much as possible).

I have had a plaster round for the ceiling and he mentioned about doing something to the wall (unfortunately it escapes me precisely what he said). I have got ceramic 330x250x~8mm tiles.

Am I correct in thinking it is better to tile straight onto the surface as it is now (cement based adhesive, BAL radpidset flexible seems to be the way forward?) rather than doing anything to it, or have I completely got the wrong end of the stick?

~edit~

I have just now uncovered the remaining wall, which is poor quality (not suitable for tiling I believe) therefore as my tiles come in under the 20kg/m^2 (inc adhesive/grout) I think I need a skim to level the whole lot off. Any confirmation/helpful contradiction would be gratefully received.

Thank you in advance,

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back