tiling problem.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had a good look around this forum, but have not been able to find an answer to my question.
This means:
A) I'm more stupid than everyone else, and the answer is staring me in the face.
B) I'm the only one with this particular project. !
I intend to tile above a worktop, to act as a splashback, this will be two tiles high.
No problem there then, but, when the worktops stops, I wish to continue my tiles further AND tile down the wall to the floor.
Question is, how can I follow the correct line, and tile downwards, without the tiles sliding down the wall. I have done quite a bit of tiling in my time, and have always started at the bottom and worked up.
The only solution I can think of, is to fix a batten to the wall, then when the tiles are stuck, remove the batten and re-fix 6" further down....
What am I missing here guys,?
Please help?

Thanks in advance.
Regards. Pistonbroke.

Sponsored Links
It can be done in several ways, in order of preference.

1. with careful measuring to set a batten just off the floor. lay some tiles out with spacers between to get your measurement don't calculate by addig tiles & spaces together.

2. With a good quality nonslip adhesive tile from the top downwards, easier with ceramic tiles which grab quicker than porcelain.

3. run a batten level with the worktop and put your two rows in, once set tile downwards using masking tape to hold the tile to the set ones above.

Jason

When you lay the batten out & tile up, you will probably get to the top & they will not match perfectly, if you have layed the tiles quickly this shouldn't be a problem. Slide the tiles up so they are level at the top & just insert either card or a thin piece of ply as required.
Talking from experience not as a tiler.

Sponsored Links
Thats great.
Many thanks for the quick replies.
I have gone down the masking tape route, and it seems to be working perfectly.

Many thanks again.
Flash.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back