Tiling round a shower tray - help!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Some shower tiles cracked in our shower which meant that water leaking through, so I removed them to find this wooden frame. I’ve tried to take some pics.

My question is, how would I go about re-tiling this? Just looking to make good and be able to use the shower.

I assume the wood needs a sealant but can I then lay tiles directly onto that or should I use a waterproof membrane on top of a sealant and then tile?

Any tips gratefully received
James

Attachments

• IMG_1580.jpeg
    IMG_1580.jpeg
    283.5 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_1579.jpeg
    IMG_1579.jpeg
    226.2 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1578.jpeg
    IMG_1578.jpeg
    281.6 KB · Views: 62
Sponsored Links
Wood expands and contracts with moisture whereas the tray will have little to no expansion. That's why your tile has cracked. That wood should be a lot lower than the tray and a suitable product to be tiled on placed over the top, even plasterboard would be better than wood.

That looks very tricky to do in your situation. I think if you retiled it as is then your tiles would crack again.

Thank you ktuludays that makes sense and what I had initially thought, getting the wood out is going to be tricky and require removing more tiles so I had hoped not to have to do that.

Would a waterproof membrane such as Kerdi-Keba Tape be an alternative or am I clutching at straws?

Thanks again!

Thank you ktuludays that makes sense and what I had initially thought, getting the wood out is going to be tricky and require removing more tiles so I had hoped not to have to do that.

Would a waterproof membrane such as Kerdi-Keba Tape be an alternative or am I clutching at straws?

Thanks again!
I wouldn't have thought it would make much difference, the wood will still expand at a different rate, you just shouldn't tile onto it like that.

Sponsored Links

Thanks again!
Get some white upvc to cover the wood. And silicone around any gaps. You can get various sizes. It might be cheaper if you can get it from a local window manufacturer or upvc supplier.

There should be nothing on the floor of a shower cubicle but the shower tray. It’s going to cause problems no matter what .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back