Tiling split face slate tiles on brick raised bed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I want to do something like this. The raised beds I have are brick that has been rendered. The Rendering is essentially cracking and falling off. Moisture to partially blame? The raised beds do appear to have drainage of some kind as it never floods or anything. What would I need to do to tile onto brick? Do I need to seal the brick externally to prevent moisture seeping into the adhesive or anything special?

paul_jones_-_split_face_mosaic_black_slate_-_outdoor_planters.2.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
So Its not a design question as more of a what if anything do I need to do the surface prior to applying the slate tiles. The rendering more or less crumbled off of the brick and was pretty wet. Of course, it was pretty wet anyway. How it was applied is different than the tile would be. Do I need to seal the brick or can I just apply the tiles?

Moisture from inside is probably getting trapped and freezing which blows the render, may do the same thing with tiles

Should I do some kind of tanking? If so, knowing I would put down the slate tiles what would you suggest? Thank you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back