Tiling - what should I do with this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a workers in bathroom. They ask for 2850 for preparing, tiling, and install bath shower and basin. Bathroom size 2x2.3m . I pay for all materials.
They put already about 4 sqm.

Please see pictures and and say what do you thing about it?
I took photo the worst tiles but there many of them which looks similar.

20170329_215445.jpg

20170329_202918.jpg

20170329_202747.jpg

Sponsored Links
How large are the tilesm and how level was the wall to start with. Big tiles are more difficult to get right, but the last picture shows that they aren't even getting the veritcal lines even, unless it's an adjustment from the other end of course. But that sounds like a high figure for just labour.

Tiles are 300x600mm. They prepared floor and and walls to get perfect level. New plaster boards leveled floor and new celling.

Titles spacers are 1.5mm. That on picture has about 3mm.

No excuses for such a bad job, for the price you are paying this is absolutely insulting, I wouldn't even get any cowboys to do such like workmanship even for free, as it would bugger up my expensive tiles.

Just tell them to do it right or if they can't then leave, as they will end up ruining your material. Don't accept any excuses if they say your walls are not straight, it is their job to do it right, don't pay them anything, if they get stroppy or threatening you can always call the police.
I bet they are unskilled migrants claiming to be experts, but most of them have no skills, we get plenty of them around London hanging outside Wickes and B&Q store car parks, looking for day jobs, and worst of all they even got the cheek to state their terms, like I charge £x per day, and will take two breaks 1/2 hr each, and without some cans of beer in their hand they can't move, yes I can do tiling, no problem etc etc, they never declare their income, don't pay taxes, and their work is atrocious, for that price you are paying, you would have got proper UK trained and experienced bathroom fitters and tilers.

Please don't tell me they are UK bread builders!

A mate of mine is having his bathroom refitted with new floor and wall tiles, taking the bath tub out and instead having a shower fitted, new pan, new sink, all for A GRAND for labour, and \i have already seen the work, its a lot better than yours!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I think Mike has made a very good point, so little add there, except to suggest I would have laid the tiles in a brick bond pattern, and on a tile that size and edge shape, the spacers should be at least 3mm to get a good grout line. 1.5mm (and less for the one on it's side, and the grout will be flat in some places, and dipped in others.

If they're carefull, the should get the tiles off safely, and they, or someone else preferably, can start again.

I agree Doggit, larger size tiles look better when laid in brick work pattern. on many modern tiles they tend not to have any gaps and they seem like joined against each other without a gap, hence no grouting required, I am not sure if they actually do fill any grout.

I've seen it where it appears that there's no grout, but you need very consistant sized tiles for that, and you'd need some way of sealng them in a bathroom, otherwise the higher moisture level would creep through the gaps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back