Tiling - whats the most professional method?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This should be an easy question for the pros;

I'm re-doing a bathroom soon and am planning the work. I'm going to be tiling two walls which have a bath and pedestal sink on.

As far as the quality of the tiling is concerned is it best to,

a) Tile the walls and then put the bath and sink on?
or
b) Tile around the rim of the bath and work from there?

I'm not in a rush to dot he work, but would like to know what option would be better.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Fit bath

Tile

Fit basin

You will find most acrylic baths have brackets that need fixing to the wall before tiling and doing the bath first also allows for hiding out of square walls.

Jason

Regarding the bath, if you dont want to worry about silicone and trims failing where the bath joins the wall, especially if using a shower, tank and tile the walls down to the floor first, then fit the bath.
This option needs precision tiling and you want as near a 90 deg corner as you can get.

b/

Regarding the bath, if you dont want to worry about silicone and trims failing where the bath joins the wall, especially if using a shower, tank and tile the walls down to the floor first, then fit the bath.
This option needs precision tiling and you want as near a 90 deg corner as you can get.

b/
Absolute tosh.

Sponsored Links

b/

:eek: :eek: :?: :?: :?: :rolleyes:

b/

this is obviously a joke?

Yet another reason not to automatically trust a pro, amateurs often do better jobs because they dont do it for money, Windows vs Linux anyone?

b/

8)

thanks for the replies. one of them was usefull! this is the fourth bathroom tiling job I've done and so am confident it will look slick. just wanted to check i wasn't missing a trick. Must have been looking at showroom tiling too much!

i have a few days off and miss the idiots arriving back to the forum!

ho hum

:eek:

yep, I'd bet you havent done any experiments with the different tankning
products available and stress tested them, i.e. when applied to different
grip adhesives (hybrid polymer, solent, non solvent etc), primers, backgrounds (ply,
plasterboard, multifinish) tile adhesives (2 part flex, 1 part flex, rapidset)
tiles (vit and non vit) and permutations and combinations of the above.

The data would fill a large spread sheet. I doubt very much given the
unchallenged advice given to the poor guy who posted 'Another tanking
questions' 4th sep (?), that you've got the nouse to use one.
:rolleyes:

b/

yep, I'd bet you havent done any experiments with the different tankning
products available and stress tested them, i.e. when applied to different
grip adhesives (hybrid polymer, solent, non solvent etc), primers, backgrounds (ply,
plasterboard, multifinish) tile adhesives (2 part flex, 1 part flex, rapidset)
tiles (vit and non vit) and permutations and combinations of the above.

The data would fill a large spread sheet. I doubt very much given the
unchallenged advice given to the poor guy who posted 'Another tanking
questions' 4th sep (?), that you've got the nouse to use one.
:rolleyes:

b/

I'm pretty sure I've argued the toss about something or other with this guy before. Don't waste your time.
See what I mean...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back