Tiling wooden bathroom floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got 18mm ply sub-base down, tiling tonight with 30x30 ceramic tiles and Wickes' flexible adhesive/grout and PVA etc. Simple question - how long before it can be walked on?

Sponsored Links
First off DON'T USE PVA second i would not use Wickes adhesive, do a search in this forum use a proper addy, BAL or the like.

I am sure someone much more qualified than me can explain more

Well before I saw your reply I've now bought Unibond flexible wood and concrete floor adhesive/grout (more expensive than Wickes and B&Q own brands) and it says clearly on the instructions on that tub to use Unibond PVA to bond the plywood surface, so I've got some of that too.

Everything I've read says use 'dry to touch' PVA between the adhesive and tiles so I've bought Unibond's recommended, which is of course their own and that tub also says it is suitable to bond porous surfaces like plywood sub-base etc.

OK your floor, i am no expert by any means however i do know two things one is do not use PVA, second is do not use Unibond, use a trade addy and the recommended primer system for the surface you are tiling on. I believe with BAL and the likes either acrylic primer or SBR, if you don't want to take my word for it do a search in this forum regarding PVA and tiles, and also Unibond you will see what i mean.

Just trying to help. :D

Sponsored Links
Sadly you arn't going to get any praise for selecting unibond products, or introducing PVA into the mix. SBR primer and trade adhesive. I would have used the wickes own brand over the unibond any day.

Well before I saw your reply I've now bought Unibond flexible wood and concrete floor adhesive/grout (more expensive than Wickes and B&Q own brands) and it says clearly on the instructions on that tub to use Unibond PVA to bond the plywood surface, so I've got some of that too.

Everything I've read says use 'dry to touch' PVA between the adhesive and tiles so I've bought Unibond's recommended, which is of course their own and that tub also says it is suitable to bond porous surfaces like plywood sub-base etc.

so have you fixed your tiles...using that carp...uniBomb...if so best of luck bud....and ....

is it a FLOOR your tile fixing to.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

and you say the TUB is suitable.... :LOL: :LOL:

best of
tt

oh and how long does it say on that TUB before ya can walk on the substrate...???

Ok ok, points taken.

It's a plywood sub-floor to be primed before taking 30x30 floor tiles. I'm sure I said all this in my original post.

So, having read all the above, I am going to take the Unibond adhesive and Unibond PVA back to B&Q and I am now looking at BAL adhesives and BAL Prime APD instead, both of which are apparently stocked at Topps Tiles. Is this more to people's recommendations?

Can anybody tell me adhesive I should be using, White Star, Green Star or Blue Star? They all say they are flexible.

If it was me i would use THIS

Check out the data sheet on the site for further instructions.

F E C K me..... :LOL:

joe public paying that price for that....is this a spammer???... ;)

to the op.. go for a bagged FLEXIABLE based cement adhesive...but dont go to topps for it....still canny believe they even advertise their price... :LOL:

mapei
ardex.

topps even have their own bagged addy, alot cheaper than that...christ even profix etc..a lot cheaper than that..

but it WILL DEFO need to be a bagged addy mate..

the wbp ply ..i hope you sealed edges/underside with a sbr before fixing it down..

then just follow tha BAGGED adhesive mfr instructions...

OP; take notice & act on what Tictic is telling you if you want to avoid your tiling project ending in disaster, his advice is spot on. ;)

I would also advise you read the Tiling Forum Sticky & Archive posts before you do anything else; it may prevent you making more mistakes. :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back