Tilling bare plaster skim

So Richard, you are saying the same primer as the tanking kit would be fine to prime the other areas before tilling?

Any particular adhesive and grout you would recommend? the porcelain tiles are matt sandstone effect. Bal seems very expensive, is Granfix any good?

Sponsored Links
So Richard, you are saying the same primer as the tanking kit would be fine to prime the other areas before tilling?

Any particular adhesive and grout you would recommend? the porcelain tiles are matt sandstone effect. Bal seems very expensive, is Granfix any good?
bal 100% witch area you from you get big discounts trade ;)

The tiles are 4.5mm thick porcelain tiles (600mm x 300mm).

Where did you get the tiles from...??

Hope those walls are as flat as a snooker table...?

Ardex,mapei,weber,bal.....for adhesive...although bal is the more expensive off them all....

Sponsored Links
Tiles were ... wait for it... from B&Q! Add damning comments here.

They look like decent tiles but I'm no tiller so can't really tell the difference.

Walls have been freshly skimmed by a decent spread and are lovely and smooth. I've checked with a straight edge and can't see any hollows that I need to worry about.

Hopefully be able to make a decent job of this. Not done that much tilling before just little odd jobs so using the right stuff for this is essential and the advice given is gratefully received!

The bigger the tile, the flatter the tile base needs to be or you'll have problems with adhesive coverage & getting the tiles to lay flat & level.

Next time don't skim the tile base, your just wasting your money; plaster is not an ideal tile base & smooth, glass like plaster is even worse

I understand that it is not the perfect tile base but I did specify to the plasterer not to over polish the surface which was to be tilled, Since the tiles I bought are very light I don't see much of a problem, or am I wrong?

The problem with plaster skim is the weight restriction & the trend towards ever larger tiles on walls. As far as weight goes, if your tiles weigh no more than around 18kg/sqm you should be fine but the larger the tile, the flatter the tile base needs to be or you may not get sufficient adhesive coverage (due to high & low spots); 4.5mm is very thin for tiles that size!

Use only powder adhesive for that size tile, tub mix won’t set. To apply the adhesive use at least a solid thin bed trowel & if you’ve any doubts about flatness, use a solid thick bed trowel; this is the one I usually use for large format tiles on walls anyway.

When you say "thick bed trowel" do you just mean the trowel i would use for floor tiles?

I know these tiles a thin, that is the reason I purchased them due to weight restrictions. I like the look of the large format tiles but was very aware that plaster skim has a relatively low weight threshold compared to say plasterboard. I was not looking for large format due to this but when I discovered theses tiles I was delighted as I thought that they were not an option.

When you say "thick bed trowel" do you just mean the trowel i would use for floor tiles?
yes - 20mm round notches, 10mm deep, at 28mm centres

Solid thin bed trowel has smaller notches but it might be advisable to stick with the thick bed trowel if in any doubt.

Are you also tiling the floor? If so what is it, concrete oe suspended timber?

The floor was a timber floor which I then laid with 12mm WBP with screws every 100mm centers. I used flexible Evostick powdered adhesive and have the corresponding grout. Tiles are 330mm x 330mm ceramic tiles.

I followed the manufacturers instructions with regard to ply to use, mixing quantities and spacer size (3mm), so hoping for a long life expectancy. I've never tilled a floor before but I have impressed myself so far. just the grouting to do now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back