Timber cladding replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I am after some advice regarding timber cladding replacement on the entire rear facade of an 1980s council style timber frame mid terraced house.
We want to replace the vertical timbers with either hardie plank or cedral weatherboard but would I need to add additional insulation or damp proofing to bring it upto current regulations etc?

The current timber cladding is the same on my neighbours house and runs across both houses with no gaps.
Would adding insulation increase the depth of the wall on my side?

The walls are not very thick and have a few different layers but I couldn't say what each is so I have attached a picture showing the cross section of the wall from when we had a new door fitted.

Am I looking at a straight forward job of just removing the timber and replacing it or is this looking like it could be more complicated.

All advice welcome.
Tony
20160609_093049.jpg

Sponsored Links
would I need to add additional insulation or damp proofing to bring it upto current regulations etc?

You need to 'consider' improving - whether it is practical and feasible and and at not much more cost.

BTW, what's "council style"?

Social housing is normally built very robust but I suppose it depends on when and where it was built.
The cost will be in the cladding not the insulation so you'd be better off doing the best you can now.

Sponsored Links
You'd know it if you saw it

Council style not far from me is dark stained thick uneven larch lap, or round the corner from that, nice even white painted shiplap, and more recently cedar t&g either stained or left to go grey.

There are many private and self build estates which look exactly the same.

So it's not that easy to define.

I am too aware of 1980's council/H.A. Thrown-up places. I used to work maintaining them. Go back to the 50's for really well built ones.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back