Timber for a trellis

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A customer wants me to quote to supply a 1.8m (wide) by 0.6m trellis that will go above the side entrance to his property and his neighbour's.

I am guessing that I need a treated sawn timber. Any recommendations for the timber from the likes of Selco or Wickes (and yes, I am aware that neither is the best quality wise).

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Cedar or treated pine. Redwood. I'll assume it's a typical suburban site, so willow or hazel won't fit in.

I wish i could choose trellis that quickly - i get looking at the different designs and styles and that can be half my day gone. :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
I wish i could choose trellis that quickly - i get looking at the different designs and styles and that can be half my day gone. :mrgreen:

I am now thinking that it will be cheaper to buy one off the shelf and tweaking it. Making one from scratch will involve a lot of wastage.

I need to swing by the site and measure the gap more accurately.

It'll certainly be simpler to get one off-the-shelf but making one isn't too much hassel if you need larger gaps in the framework for specific plants.

It'll certainly be simpler to get one off-the-shelf but making one isn't too much hassel if you need larger gaps in the framework for specific plants.

It isn't for plants. It is to deter burglars that might want to climb over.

i make mine from tile baton either 19x38 or 25x50mm
you need the squares to look symmetrical but luckily 600 and 1800 are divisible so 2x300 squares 3x200 dependant on support required for plants 'obviously 6 or 9 along the trellis
if it needs to fit in 45mm slots in a post the 38mm [2x19] or[19+25] 19mm vertical only at the ends 25 horizontal gives strongest on the span

Last edited:
And you want to make a climbing frame for them?
Okay.

The customer has a semi detached property, that has side access that meets a neighbouring property. They both have gates into the side of their properties. They just want something to deter toe-rags from standing on the party fence and climbing over.

as an aside assuming 2x1/50x25mm baton
assuming its 1830/6ft without making it extremely complicate and reducing the height slightly you will need to get 2x1830 from a 3.9 with a bit off waste and 2.4/3m/3.6 ect with 597 verticals
or 1830+585+585x585= 3600 you need to go up to 3600 as the saw cuts at 3.2mm take off 10mm also the ratio is 3 to one anyway[incorrect memory corrected below ]
so 3 rails and 9 uprights are 3x3.6 lengths
clear as mud ehh
ok recalculation ignore above you need 7 upright so go for 580 so
1830 +580+580=2990+7[saw blade]=3m so 2 at 3m
1830+580+580+580=3570 +10[saw blade]=3.6

having said that that gives 218mm between battons on thevertical and 246 on the horizontal[2x3m+1x3.6]
where as 8 uprights will make it 218x204 so a bit closer your choice[2x 3.6+1x3m

Last edited:
Just an update....

I did the trellis yesterday. I used 10 lots of 1.8m lengths of 19*38mm. gap size of about 145mm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back