Timber Frame Timber Dimensions.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recieved a set of plans from my architect to look over before they go to planning, it's a timber frame with 100mm external blockwork and a 50mm cavity.

The timber frame is quoted as "150x47 c16 timber framework".

What I am wondering is this size of timber planed all round or only planed on the 47mm dimension?

The reason I am asking is I am a bit concerned the 150mm dimension may not be consistent and will in turn make plaster boarding unsightly and uneven where as PAR should be reasonably consistent and straight.

I have a meeting tommorrow with the architect and will ask to get it changed if needed.

Thanks all.

Sponsored Links
ali68 said:
I have recieved a set of plans from my architect to look over before they go to planning, it's a timber frame with 100mm external blockwork and a 50mm cavity.

The timber frame is quoted as "150x47 c16 timber framework".

What I am wondering is this size of timber planed all round or only planed on the 47mm dimension?

The reason I am asking is I am a bit concerned the 150mm dimension may not be consistent and will in turn make plaster boarding unsightly and uneven where as PAR should be reasonably consistent and straight.

I have a meeting tommorrow with the architect and will ask to get it changed if needed.

Thanks all.

I would think that most manufacturers will use both face regularised timbers or CLS as stated before so not to worry.

Have you compared the difference in price between staying at 97 x 47 timber and using a rigid insulation board as opposed to 150mm quilt?

I just think 147 thick timber frames look "too" thick......

I wouldnt worry about it, the timber frame manufacturer should be responsible for sizes etc as rangersman says.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all,

Kit is being made on site by the joiner who is on hols at the moment so could'nt ask him, woodyard confirmed it is usually 145 that is sold for this purpose.

Rangersman, 145mm appears to be the standard kit for the area I live in (Orkney).

Just out of interest I was quoted £1.79 per metre, anybody have any ideas for prices in other areas, no other reason other than curiosity.

ali68 said:
Thanks all,

Kit is being made on site by the joiner who is on hols at the moment so could'nt ask him, woodyard confirmed it is usually 145 that is sold for this purpose.

Rangersman, 145mm appears to be the standard kit for the area I live in (Orkney).

Both widths area acceptable, it's cheaper to get to the required U value using wool than hard insulation board. In Orkney it may look better to have a thicker wall anyhoo - will look cozy!

Price for the studs seems not too bad, but try and haggle a bit more. The price to watch is sheathing - OSB3 board can vary hugely and make quite a difference to the cost of the kit.

The sheathing is on the drawing is 9mm ply and I have been quoted £10 a sheet need approx 20 sheets for the external walls not sure how much for the roof yet, going to get a price for sterling board also.

The joiner is reccommending ply but there is plenty housing going up using sterling board in these parts.

I have the choice of 3 timber outlets here and I've started at what is commonly thought to be the dearest outlet so things can only get better.Once I have a price from all 3 the haggling begins, they usually try to out price each other.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back