Timber framed brick clad shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m looking to build a 5mx2.5m mono pitched slate roof shed on a newly laid concrete base. I’m a capable diyer and just wandering if to do timber frame with brick skin (if so how) or a lightweight block with cavity and brick outer . I need it dry n safe as it will be my little workshop etc

many hints tips or suggestions greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links

'Dry' and 'concrete base' does not bode well for starters. There are hundreds of posts on this forum regards damp ingress at slab level due to sheds or garages plonked on top of a concrete base. Usually a conc' base that protrudes beyond the building footprint creating a weather vulnerable 'toe' all round the structure. Not good.
You will need to design out this issue from the outset - usually with a robust secondary base with DPM, DPC etc - or by building to the very edge of the base so that the weathering shed finish over-sails the slab.

It will be a newly laid base with dpm to the correct size which I will get done as we completely redo the garden. Hope the rough plans help

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    324.3 KB · Views: 91
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    341.5 KB · Views: 85
For dry shed you can create a support frame on posts and build the shed on that frame or create a shed with "legs"

The end grain of the "legs" sits on a pad of lead which seals the end grain and prevents moisture entering the timber.

Surface has 3 coats of Sadolin.

The post in the picture is one of 22 in a timber framed house built in 1980. There is no visible decay in the posts today, 40 years later.

upload_2022-1-3_8-6-19.png

Sponsored Links
I’m looking to build a 5mx2.5m mono pitched slate roof shed on a newly laid concrete base. I’m a capable diyer and just wandering if to do timber frame with brick skin (if so how) or a lightweight block with cavity and brick outer . I need it dry n safe as it will be my little workshop etc

timber frame will give you more internal space

tyvek house wrap and 25mm air cavity will make it air tight

be careful with the damp arrangement on a slab -as Noseall explains, this cant be emphasied enough

I was thinking of building the frame on engineering block with a layer of DPC on then screw bottom of frame to brick ?

then screw bottom of frame to brick ?

Unless you live in Hurricane Alley or Tornado Terrace the weight of the shed will be enough to avoid the need to screw it down.

Screws rust and eventually serve no useful purpose, their hole compromises the moisture resistance of the wood.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back