Time for a career change

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After spending 7 years working with excel, modelling cash flows, producing scorecards and other 'exciting' things, I think its about time I changed to something I really want to do.

After thinking for months, I narrowed it down to tiling or electrics. I've done my own tiling, and also my own , albeit, simple electrics.

So, I think I have come to the conclusion, that at 25yrs of age, it time to bite the bullet.
I want to become an electrician, and I will be popping down to my local one who I know, and discuss things over. I really want to get into the domestic field, and have been doing many google searches to get some info, but there are so many courses offering different things etc.

What is the best course for someone like myself these days to become a fully qualified part 17 electrician! I think thats what i need!!

Any advice, good or bad appreicated.

Sponsored Links
exactly , got nought to loose. I could afford a drop in income for a while (+5yrs)

My only worry is what route to go. There are so many courses out there offering nvqs, city and guilds, all wanting to relieve me of my cash.

Dont mind paying the fees, but dont want scammed.

Sponsored Links
any idea if there is a national type database?

I am going to call learn direct tomorrow (or the scottish equivelant) and ask for their advice.

become a fully qualified part 17 electrician! I think thats what i need!!
That's Part P and 17th Edition.
You're right, there are various routes Craig. I cannot advise on the various companies out there providing training as i have no experience of them but you are doing the right thing by going out and speaking to Sparks in your area. They are the best source of information and will know local providers who you can trust and will get you where you want to be.

Good luck young man.

Ok, so if i can find a training centre and do the following

STEP 1
Enrol on Become an Electrician home-study Course 1
Combined with our practical training sessions, this will prepare you for the City & Guilds 2330 Electrotechnical Technology Certificate Level 2

STEP 2
Enrol on Become an Electrician home-study Course 2
Combined with our practical training sessions, this will prepare you for the City & Guilds 2330 Electrotechnical Technology Certificate Level 3

STEP 3
Gain onsite experience
We recommend you gain the NVQ Level 3 qualification. You need to have work experience and be assessed on-site.

QUALIFIED SUCCESS
Having successfully completed all the above, you will then be an NVQ Level 3 Qualified Electrician.

Does this agree with you guys? Or do i also have to do part p and 17th on tp of this?

Cheers.

How about seeing if you can get yourself onto a C&G2330 course at your local college?

Sorry, did not realise JTL had an age limit.
Still may give you an idea on what courses to take though.

Does this agree with you guys? Or do i also have to do part p and 17th on tp of this?

Cheers.
Regarding the 17th, I would assume if you start to learn now, then you will be taught to the 17th.

The 17th course most of us are taking is only an update for people who were taught to the 16th or earlier .

To help you decide if you are to be a sparky or a tiler, get your local yellow pages etc out & ring round a few & see if any are able to come give you a quote (dont actually get them to come though). The profession that you cant get someone in for is the one thats in need of new blood :D

Sponsored Links
Back