Time-Lag Switch Wiring

Do you know how the whole system is wired?

how all the switches are wired together and how all the lights are connected together and how the two come together?
That's the next stage, going to look at all the switches, make a note of the cabling and also verify which one it is that's stuck in the on position

Sponsored Links
Update - I investigated all the wiring to the 3 switches today and it turned out my hunch was correct - the blue/red/yellow cable was legacy from an old conventional switch system. No neutral, just straightforward lighting switch feed, and whoever fitted the push buttons had just connected the yellow to a spare terminal on each switch. One of the push-buttons was stuck in the on position. Replaced this one, (had a new spare) strapped the yellow cable out of the way and all 3 switches now work as they should. But thanks for the advice everyone, and I'll certainly be looking into the timed switch on the consumer unit idea, next time one of these switches fails

The third connection is not spare it is a N/C connection, the option is, if you connect two buttons to replace your 2 way switches, it can be wired so you can press the second button to turn the lights off rather than wait for the delay set on the first button.
Though it can cause the light to come back on briefly if switch 1 expires before switch 2
Most people however parallel the two buttons instead and not use the N/C terminal

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back