time lag switches

Sponsored Links
that looks good.
My only concern is durability since they are going to be used dozens of time per day?

Electronic ones may need a neutral at the switch hence you'd need to find out what you have before buying anything.
The old ones don't just need a tweak of the timing screw on the back to they?

Sponsored Links
Thanks that is very good idea!
Is this a cartridge type timer that needs to be installed in an electric switchboard or can be installed independently on the wall or the ceiling?

It goes in an enclosure which is a good idea to have next to the consumer unit. As I said above, unless you are wanting a complete rewire of the circuit - you need to know what you have there already.

but they work on the same principal and so will eventually fail. Plenty of no neutral required electronic ones around. They do have a min load though, so if switching low energy or florescent lights you may need to add in a dummy load or capacitor (learnt that one from experience!)

It goes in an enclosure which is a good idea to have next to the consumer unit. As I said above, unless you are wanting a complete rewire of the circuit - you need to know what you have there already.
Wouldn't pneumatic switches be wired like normal ones, L & SL drop from the light position(s), and therefore the circuit need rewiring if you changed to retractive switches triggering a timer at the CU?

but they work on the same principal and so will eventually fail.

Proberly less likely to fail than the electronic ones, ive replaced a few of them elkay ones recently and although they need no neutral im pretty sure they still have an internal battery.

The columbus ones are not as well made now and ive had a few with faulty terminations from new, the older ones seem to have lasted years on some sites.
most problems are from customer abuse,sticky plungers or adjusted wrong, rather than faulty switches

Wouldn't pneumatic switches be wired like normal ones, L & SL drop from the light position(s), and therefore the circuit need rewiring if you changed to retractive switches triggering a timer at the CU?

Yes, they'd also probably need to do some rewiring if they bought and used an electronic one which requires a neutral.
It is impossible to spec something with different requirements without knowing what is there already.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back