Time to get a car

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have run a POLO 2003 1.2 petrol for 14 years from new. It has always given me trouble. Fuel economy was around 37mpg. Its is still working and has around 120,000 miles on the clock. Thinking about replacing it with HONDA CIVIC SE I-CDTi 2.2 DIESEL 2009 model. Around 110,000 miles on the clock. Not sure if it will be a good idea.

Please give some suggestions.

Sponsored Links
110K sounds mighty for a new second hand car! The car you're thinking about is a league away from your Polo, what do you want from your new car and what is your budget?

These cars are now selling around £2,000 to £3,000 based on mileage. I normally use my car for going to work. Daily travel around 30 miles. Twice a month on motorways around 100 miles.

I am looking for a reliable economic car. I heard Honda is good car. Thats why I am asking for opinion. My Polo was costing me a lot of money for wishbone bush failure. Dealer was charging me fortune. I moved away from dealer to a local garage. Cost has gone down. But constantly there is failure of parts. Now a days it consumes a lot of lubricant. Catalytic converter has half failed. Basically its a goner.

I have to get a reliable economic car.

Last edited:
What about another new car on lease hire?

Couple of hundred quid a month and a new car every 2 or 3 years.

Sponsored Links
Take a risk - go to a decent car auction, that cells lease cars.. You'll probably end up with something much better. Alternatively find a retired old couple selling the above with immaculate paperwork.
Also consider a petrol as they are cheaper and you'll never get the payback in fuel economy.

For best value, get an unfashionable car. For example a Golf is much more fashionable than an Auris or Corolla. So although not as good, it commands a higher resale price.

Young people like stylish hot hatches, so a dull family car will be priced lower.

Unfashionable brands like Hyundai are almost free.

If you do a lot of miles, diesels are still cheap on fuel. But they will become less attractive over the next few years as drivers are incentivised to stop using them.

Another vote for Kia / Hyundai C'eed, i20.
Honda do make good vehicles but the mileage on the one you have in mind is much too high. Go for a Jazz if you can get one.
John :)

one of the most surprisingly good cars I ever drove was a ford mondeo. I'd definitely look at bigger cars than family hatches to get good value.
In the same budget there are 2010 and 2011 models a plenty on autotrader some are very well spec'd

Don't Jazz's have problems with autoboxes and PAS ? I would have thought a petrol Skoda Fabia would fit the bill, similar to the current car but newer and better. Only go to an auction if you know about cars or can take someone who does

Honda changed the spec (and price) of the auto transmission fluid and they are now very good.....at least compatible with other prestige makes.
Can't comment about the PAS but the early ones did allow the fluid to overheat, and the cooling elements were lengthened as a result.
There are loads of quality motors out there - one of the top ones being the petrol Fiesta if the price is right.
John :)

With Auctions, I'm not talking about a small one with a few 100 cars. I'm talking big 1000 car sites that push volume ex-rental and lease cars. I know very little about cars, I've done oil changes, spark plugs and brake pads, bulb and batteries. I wouldn't have a clue visually if a car had a problems, I could probably see if it had been badly repaired but thats about all anyone can do. Just avoid the trade ins and we buyanycar bin sales.

Be very open about the type of car you want - i.e. estate, saloon etc, rather than bmw 325d etc.. and narrow your bid list down based on your research and visual look, then just watch the dealers bid. A £3K auction car will be up for 4-5k min in a dealers yard with nothing more than a coat of polish and a 3 month warranty. (which you could easily buy) You only have to bid £50-100 more than they are willing and you've got the same car you'd get on a forecourt.

If you don't mind running an older car get a Peugeot 406 Hdi. The engines are practically bombproof and good for 300-400k miles, they are the most reliable car I have had in many years and they are relatively cheap/easy to maintain. The are also comfortable and handle well with 60 mpg or more driven gently. I'm on my third one now.

Peter

I liked my 2002 406 Hdi Rapier Estate 110bhp. Still think it's a smart looking car. The 406 Coupe could be a future classic

Sponsored Links
Back