Timered expelair fan ,timer not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

After an issue with the wall kit for my extractor which is now sorted.
My friend who's just started training to be an electrician ( his dad who's fully qualified signs the work off he does )
Has done the wiring , I know bits myself so helped with the run of cables etc.
We aren't having run off the light pull switch as we don't want to waste leccy

He's used 3 core and earth.
He's put a fan isolator above the door and took a l/n/e feed from the light circuit in the loft , then gone to the isolator.
Earth is in a wago in the back box , then the 3 core over to a pull switch which has com, l1, l2.
He's wired one live to the the com, then that goes out the L1 to the fan (for switched I presume) on the L .
Then the next live is in a wago within the pull switch and goes to the T on the extractor for permanent live when the pull switch is off , then the neutral in a wago straight to the N on extractor,
Fan works no issues but the timer function isn't.
Is his wiring correct as his dad can't get round for a few days , he's not well so it might be longer.
His dad won't listen to an explanation he just likes to look and sort it, and then tell his son what he's done wrong.

His son can come back but I just want to know what he's wired wrong

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Also just to say.
As I'm nosey and like to know things, I grabbed my multimeter and at the fan Im getting.
With fan on pull switch on , I was getting mains voltage across the L and N.
At the T and N I was getting mains voltage.
With pull switch off.
I was getting 0 across L and N.
I was getting mains voltage across T and N.

Ah I see thanks.
I'll swap it at the fan myself, save him getting a roasting off his dad
He's only charging me 20 quid and some beers , it's all his dad's parts etc apart from the fan, so quids in for me , he's even cleaned up and put all the insulation back

Sponsored Links
He has sleeved the black at the pull switch with brown , so I gather just swapping them will still be ok sleeve wise lol.

Perfect thanks.

Do all electricans know , that T is switched and L is perm.
I just spoke to him, he says he never knew that, he thought the T would need a perm live .
I'm not sure his dad teaches him on site that well

Thanks all.
I'll pass the info onto him, he's already said he might he might chamge from using his dad's ethics and move to his unless

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back