Tin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone know any little tricks to tell the purity of tin?

Sponsored Links
100% pure weighs 7.31grammes/cubic centimetre

x-ray crystallography or mass spectrometer is the sure way

Melting point of pure tin is 232degC

Tin burns with a blue flame - but this really is a subjective test as other metals also show blue

Out of interest why are you asking.

I want to reline some copper saucepans.
I have been assured the tin I'm going to buy is pure but as tin and pewter are both called etain in french I want to be slightly forearmed.

Pewter is around 85 to 95% tin but it has a lower melting point than pure tin; melting point is between 170C and 230C depending upon alloying agents.

How do you propose to achieve a suitable bonding temperature. External gas torch or baked in an oven within an inert atmosphere. You cannot pour molten tin onto cold copper and expect an effective bond. The copper will need heating to the tin melting point (230)

You'll also need to strip any oxide layer from the copper to permit the tin to fuse. A wipe with sulphuric acid will quickly clean it but probably safer to use a citric acid soak.

You do realise that the tin/copper fusion will produce a bronze interface zone.

I'd also practice on a scrap pan first.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply.
I have a few old pans to practise on before I start on the good ones.
Cleaning: Mechanical and acid.
Flux: I'll try tallow first I think.
Heat: Melt tin in melting pot, heat pan on seperate gas hob in workshop, blowtorch at the ready.

I've never heard of a bronze interface zone is but I asume it occurs where the tin joins the copper. Is this a problem? It must happen to every tin that is relined?

I'd better pack my mass spectrometer.

Just mentioned bronze out of interest, since tin and copper alloys form a bronze and if proper fusion (alloying) takes place then the bond zone must therefore be bronze.

How about posting some photos as you go.

I will do but don't hold your breath. It takes me ages to get round to these things.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back