Tips for starting up on your own.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey I'm 22 years old, have 5 years experince in plumbing and a looking at starting up on my own. I got layed off last summer and have since been travelling. I am now back in the UK and it doesn't look like any firms are setting on at the moment, so am thinking of starting up on my own. Has any one got any tips on the best way of getting a buisness going. I have a van and all tools am looking at getting some buisness cards done as a form of advertising. I presently live at home so if things are quite to begin with I don't have a house to pay for etc.. Unfountuntly I don't have my gas so can't undertake boiler swaps and the like. So am realy looking at doing bathrooms, tiling and all other plumbing and heating work. Any one got any tips for when they started up on there own. Thanks for any advice. Matt

Sponsored Links
Put the word out of what you do, family and friends will know other family and friends, word of mouth is the best was to get a reccomendation, and also it's free. Every job that you get offered that you can complete, make sure you do it, work late, work weekends, if the customer doesn't mind, the reason I say this is because you need to build up a nest egg if things go quiet. Only do the best job you can, dont undertake a job you may feel is out of your depth, perhaps you need some experience. Paperwork is important to be kept on top of, and accounts too, these eat into your "spare time". Speaking of which, you wont have much of that, even if you arn't physically working, you brain will be working, if it's not then I expect you to fail. Starting and maintaining a business is a hell of alot of work. Being employed is much easier.

Matt, as said the paperwork is very,very important. Get them wrong & you're sunk without even starting.

Accountancy & estimating skills are a must, ignore them at your pearl.
For example, here's cheap estimating software that's a good starting point;

http://eazi-est.com/

For £67 it will give you the basics & ensure you take into account all on-costs etc. We don't use it in our business, it's a bit too basic for us, but plenty other Plumbers use it.

On accountancy, get your head in some books, again, just start with the basics & go from there.

Good luck mate & remember being a good tradesman is not the only skill you'll need to be successful.....Believe me I started with nothing & now enjoy a great lifestyle. Also as said, it takes very hard work & a good brain to make a go of it.

Thanks for the advice. With regards to one of the points you make '' Only do the best job you can, dont undertake a job you may feel is out of your depth, perhaps you need some experience''
On the odd occasion I come across a job that is out of my depth, how would you recommend I handle this? Thanks for any more advice.

Sponsored Links
The best situation is for you to team up with an experienced person for whom you will work at an agreed lower rate when he needs help and on the basis that when you come across a job beyond your capabilities that you will pass it to him with you assisting at your agreed rate.

Not only will that give you some hours paid work with him but it will enable you to have someone to help you out when you get stuck which will inevitably happen!

A friend in London employed a plumber from Manchester to replace a bath with a shower and move a rad.

The plumber became ill and had to be taken to hospital.

My friend not having any bath or heating then moved into the hotel which the plumber had booked and paid for!

What happens when he comes out of hospital is not clear! Doing out of area jobs is clearly a risky business!

Tony

The best situation is for you to team up with an experienced person for whom you will work at an agreed lower rate when he needs help and on the basis that when you come across a job beyond your capabilities that you will pass it to him with you assisting at your agreed rate.

Not only will that give you some hours paid work with him but it will enable you to have someone to help you out when you get stuck which will inevitably happen!

A friend in London employed a plumber from Manchester to replace a bath with a shower and move a rad.

The plumber became ill and had to be taken to hospital.

No surprise he became ill in London, what a sh.t hole of a place!!!

My friend not having any bath or heating then moved into the hotel which the plumber had booked and paid for!

What happens when he comes out of hospital is not clear! Doing out of area jobs is clearly a risky business!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back